Does anyone have a new Telstra 4G wifi modem? I have some questions please.

Hi, I am trying out a new Telstra 4G wifi mobile broadband set up. The 4G modem has a battery as it is supposed to be mobile. But I am mainly using it at home.  I have been told not to leave it plugged into the power. But it is inconvenient to have another thing that I now have to check the power level of all the time so I know whether it needs charging. Is it possible to take out the battery and just leave it plugged in? Does anyone here do that? The girl in the shop said NO but if it works I don't see why not?

Does anyone have any experiences to share here? Good or Bad? I really need some feedback on this because I am not sure if I will keep it at home and cut off the home phone/net, or take it to my shop.

Does anyone have problems with drop outs? Or with connecting to it?

Does anyone have a mobile broadband plan with a modem that actually can be left plugged into the power? My current moden is just plugged in all the time so I can forget about it. This new mobile one is a pain because I have to first push the button on the modem before I can use my computer. Then I have to check when it needs charging, which differs depending on how much it's used.

Please can someone with experience give me some information and tips on how to get the most out of mobile broadband at home?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

an update : if connected via the usb cable option , Knoppix 7 linux in live mode will connect unattended - a good workaround if your Windows desktop is afflicted with malware or targeted remote nannyware

You just run a user burnt Knoppix dvd disk at computer start - the os will load onto ram memory only by creating a simulated disk drive  and access the dvd disk for extra bundled apps as requested

You can install onto the computer disk drive from live mode but all existing Windows data will be erased

(However does not seem to support and detect RAID arrays from live mode)

The GUI has 3D effects and the cutest boot status advisory audio...

Knoppix operating system is freeware

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

BTW , the netgear download site lists a driver that supports XP Windows for this modem , handy if one owns any retro age XP licensed computers that require connection to the net and has no wifi support , just install the driver via the downloaded distributable application file ,  ( will first take awhile with seemingly no activity , but will install without issue ) , then connect to the isp ( on modem : settings > network > connect ) , then plug in the modem usb cable at the computer - Windows should detect and connect unattended

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

bargonju
Community Member

I have had the Advanced Netgear 4G for about 6 months. It has the advantage of WIFI and hotspot but unless you travel thre's no point in changing from ADSL. Previously I had a non WIFI Sierra which was fine but was persuaded to change up to the Netgear. Problem I find is turning the modem off. I press shutdown but for some reason if I'm still connected to the Internet it comes on again causing my usage to escalate. So now I turn everything off; removing the cable and switching off the PC. I prefer the old Sierra 4G modem but for some reason Telstra says I can't go back to using it.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Bargonju ,  re turning off - just press down the manual power button until the power off icon shows on the display , then click on the icon

ps . i strongly suggest change your wifi password

The computer and modem can be configured to connect to the net unattended if desired , just power up the modem first before booting the computer

If cable connecting subject modem via usb for single endpoint local network disable any onboard wifi network devices via hardware switch on the laptop, as is not required. If the onboard wifi device is still active can pose a security risk for compromised computers

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

Bargonju ,  re turning off ( the subject modem )- just press down the power button until the power icon light turns off

ps . i strongly suggest change your wifi password

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

an update : if connected via the ethernet cable option , Most linux distros run in live ( try) mode will connect unattended - a good workaround if your Windows desktop is afflicted with malware

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Why are you answering, again, somebody you answered over 4 years ago?

I imagine 4+ year old modems would be legacy ones, or the issues would have well and truly been resolved by now. As evidenced by the lack of posting on this thread in that time.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Greetings Dave* , just added comment to this post in part to observe any responses , and yes subject matter is now well and truly obsolete and redundant , maybe in some ways like this forum but that is another post subject 

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

just added comment to this post in part to observe any responses 

You are aware of what that is normally called?

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

Hi , called ? depends upon the context , i suppose I could have started a new thread

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply