Fake “Apple” AirPods

jujac5998
Community Member

I recently purchased some AirPods that say on their front page “AirPod Gen2 Apple”

so of course I believed that they were in fact apple brand as was descripted. A few moments after I purchased, I scrolled down to the full item description and it still said Apple AirPods 

but, it had a notice saying “if you want 100% authentic Apple AirPods re recommend you don’t purchase this product”

so I want to return it for a refund but the seller removed their ad, and I don’t know what to do 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Fake “Apple” AirPods

If you can get a letter from an Apple dealer saying they are not genuine AirPods then you can open a case with eBay's MBG (money back guarantee) for "item not as described", if you are within 30 days of delivery of the item.

https://pages.ebay.com.au/ebay-money-back-guarantee/index.html

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Fake “Apple” AirPods

The seller has NO LEEWAY if the item is not as described. As long as you act within the timeframe, you are covered under eBay's MBG. This guarantees that the seller will refund you. Furthermore, it is the seller's responsibility to provide you with the means of return postage.

Please read the eBay Money Back Guarantee Help page, and acquaint yourself with it thoroughly. I also suggest that you bookmark it so that you will have the information readily to hand if ever a similar situation arises in the future.

eBay's Money Back Guarantee will protect you for up to 30 days from the date of delivery (or the latest Estimated Delivery Date if the item hasn't arrived). You have absolutely not even 1 second longer than 30 days to open a dispute for a refund or replacement. (I suggest never leaving it until the last day, mind you, in case of an unexpected issue preventing you from acting - illness, computer problem, technical glitch, forgetting, etc.)

PayPal Buyer Protection will protect you for up to 180 days from the date of transaction (the day when you paid for your item). You have absolutely not even 1 second longer than 180 days after buying to open a PayPal dispute for a refund.

Your credit card/debit card will protect you for whatever period the issuing bank or financial insitution state in their terms and conditions. This may be 2 months, 3 months, or up to 6 months (the longest that I have seen).

You need to go through the SNAD/INAD process.

You can go through the process from your Purchase History, or just use this link (from eBay's Return an Item for a Refund Help page) and click onto the blue Return your item button.

Select the item, and continue. You'll be asked ❝Why are you returning this item?❞, and there will be a list of options:

• Ordered by mistake
  • Arrived damaged
  • Don't like it
  • Missing parts or pieces
  • Changed my mind
  • Item is defective
  • Received wrong item
  • Doesn't fit
  • Found a better price
  • Doesn't match description or photos

Select ❝Doesn’t match description or photos❞, and continue.

The page will now ask you to add details, and say: ❝We’re sorry that the item wasn't what you expected. Let us know how your item differed, that information will help us to best resolve your return.❞

In the text field, write “The AirPods are not genuine. The item title states that they are AirPod Gen2 Apple but they are fakes. This title misled me. The photos showed AirPods which also misled me.”

I strongly suggest you get a statement on letterhead from Apple that these are not genuine.

There is an option to upload a photo. Take a photograph of the items and upload that, highlighting anything different to the listing’s photos; also upload photo of the Apple letter.  Make sure you supply every possible bit of evidence.

Spoiler

Actions & time frames for "not as described" returns

Action

Time frame

The buyer requests a return

Start a return request

Latest:

The seller responds to the buyer's request

The seller is required to respond and provide a solution to the buyer's issue.

Latest:

• 3 business days after the request date

In some cases, eBay may automatically accept the return on the seller's behalf.

If the item is being returned

• The buyer sends the item back

Latest:

• The latest date to post the return will be shown in an email sent by eBay to the buyer, as well as within the return request.

If the buyer does not post the return by the specified date, eBay may close the return request.

• The seller issues a refund

Latest:

• 3 business days after receiving the returned item

If the seller does not refund the buyer and return tracking shows the item was delivered, eBay may automatically issue a full refund on the seller's behalf.

Ask eBay to step in

If the seller hasn't responded or hasn't issued a refund after receiving the return, or if the buyer and seller can't reach a resolution, either party can ask us to step in and help.

eBay may step in without the buyer asking if the seller didn't respond to the return request.

Once eBay steps in, eligible sellers will no longer be able to issue a partial refund to the buyer, even if the item is returned used or damaged.

Earliest:

• Once the seller has accepted the return, or 3 business days after the request date

Latest:

• 21 business days after the request date, if the seller never responded
  • 10 business days after the refund deadline has passed, if the seller is issuing a refund

eBay may hold the return request open for up to 35 business days after the date the return was accepted.

Come back and ask for further help if you need it.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Fake “Apple” AirPods

Can you share the item number?

It is really odd the seller calls the iPod Apple and then adds a disclaimer about their authenticity. I have seen so many items clearly not genuine (for example very cheap flash drives), but I have never seen a disclaimer.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Fake “Apple” AirPods

Monday September 12, 2022 7:12 pm PDT by Joe Rossignol

Starting with iOS 16, users may see a "Cannot Verify AirPods" alert on their iPhone if they try to connect fake AirPods to the device. Apple shared more information about this alert today in a new support document spotted by developer Steve Moser.

The support document indicates that unverified AirPods can still be connected to an iPhone, but may not perform as expected.

Apple's alert features a prominent "Don't Connect" button, but users can tap on the smaller "Connect in Bluetooth Settings" link to proceed with connecting the unverified AirPods if they choose to. Twitter user "Tommy Boi" shared a video of the alert in action a few days ago after connecting fake AirPods to their iPhone (NSFW warning: the video's background music contains profanity and viewer discretion is advised).

The alert was first discovered in code for the iOS 16 Release Candidate last week.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Fake “Apple” AirPods

The seller actually deleted the add after I bought it, however I have received it and sure enough they aren’t authentic

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Fake “Apple” AirPods

Of course they are fake

You said that the item description said they were

Sellers like this 'person' know a lot of buyers don't read the description in full and take advantage of that

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Fake “Apple” AirPods

I am thinking maybe someone had posted a review stating they are fake. 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply