Have

que595
Community Member

Have an mp160 printer -scanner ,  when I go to scan up comes  -running out of memory  please increase memory .    How do I do that

Maurice

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Have

Is the message appearing on your PC or your printer?

What does the error message actually say? If it's a printer/scanner specific message I can't help you but if it's a PC problem then chances are you might be running out of Virtual Memory or could need to buy some more RAM for your computer.. 

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Have

It says      Scan Gear 

running out of memory , increase memory available 

Plenty of room on computor only using 16 % of H drive

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Have

Memory isn't the same thing as hard drive space.. Memory is what is required to run your computer, ie RAM (Random Access Memory) 

It could either be a problem with your virtual memory, which is easily enough fixed or you could just need more RAM.

You probablu just need to increase the amount of memory needed to run the scanner

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Have

Hi , 

The short answer for XP Windows:

Access "virtual memory" configuration applet via control panel and adjust "paging file size" to  2800 min , 2800 max and restart Windows

Specifically:

Start > control panel > system > advanced : performance , click "settings" > advanced : virtual memory : click "change"

check :  custom size

Note current settings : initial size and max size (for your peace of mind)

overwrite initial size to 2800

overwrite max size to 2800

click 'set" button

click "ok" , page will close , click 'apply" then ok and then restart the computer

End of your current Windows angst

( Windows will inform if you incorrectly configure and will correct in real time without crashing the system) 

But is a wake up call for more system memory , that being ram memory

(BTW , other users might disagree with my suggested settings but works for me - so is what I suggest)

I guess your are using a retro-age Windows XP sp2 era computer , early , mid age 2.6GHz P4 with 512MB total installed ram memory , onboard graphics, now using a high resolution wide screen LCD display .

default page file config 256MB initial , 768MB max 

If so and supported i suggest increase ram memory to 2GB, keep the revised page file settings - this will realise a noticable reduction in time to complete a task, but I disgress

Abstract: 

The message relates to not enough pre-configured virtual memory.

Windows memory manager run out of preconfigured virtual memory space an had to over-ride settings in the background , and map more and so continue processing.( Win98 would have halted, but XP is more hapless user proof)

Memory manager would like to process within configured settings as this is more efficient, hence the advisory message to you the user to revise settings

System memory is solid state memory located on the main board within removable modules called ram memory 

This is used to store current and some previously running software to enable the central processor to work efficiently, because software used in normal memory space on the disk drive is woefully slow (unusable for running tasks) 

However due to limited capacity system memory requires additional memory space which is supplied by "virtual memory"

This is simulated ram memory which is located on a specially configured system file on the disk drive which is only about 1/10th,  the speed of ram memory (normal memory space being about 100th the speed)

While virtual memory processes at about 1/10th the speed of solid state ram memory is important as is effectively of inexhaustable capacity and so maintains memory system function for all resource usage 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Have

Thank you fellows ,  I am not up on computors  so shall get a grandson  to have a look if i can catch one 

maurice

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply