Received the wrong laptop, with a BIOS password

I bought a laptop off of ebay about 7 weeks ago for about 420 AUD and received the wrong (and in my opinion, slightly inferior) model of laptop. I decided to keep it because I didn't want to be without a laptop for another week. A few days ago I discovered that there's a supervisor password, which means I am unable to change BIOS settings. These two things together mean I now want to return the laptop. The seller does not know the password. He is offering to pay a 100 AUD refund and to pay for a service to reset the password, but the quickest service is in the USA, which would mean a wait of about 2.5 to 5 weeks. You can't just remove the CMOS battery. I really just want to return it because I don't want to be without a laptop for that long. Given that I'm outside the money back guarantee, what am I entitled to? Personally I think that a supervisor password is unacceptable to NOT mention, especially given that it was advertised as seller refurbished and "good working condition".

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

yarmak
Community Member

try typing admin as the password - or even just the word password

Dave

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

I suggest contact the manufacturer for advise , after first registering the laptop into your name including your phone number via their support website if supported - if not previously registered you might even have warranty support - but even if not if you can give them confidence that you are the legal owner they should offer a solution - you are not the first legal owner to not recall or have access to the BIOS password 

If registered in your name be sure to use the registered phone to contact them 

Request supervisor password reset for model blah blah , and have the serial number ready to quote

Do not babble about circumstances unless asked for particular details like are you the original owner 

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply