How do I lodge a formal complaint against Ebay Customer Service?

How do I lodge a formal complaint against Ebay Customer Service?

Ebay renewed my Ebay Plus subscription (Early Feb 2021) without notifying me (I get it it, it's probably in their T&Cs to automatically renew Ebay Plus membership) but have the decency and professional courtesy to advise a customer of this action.

I contacted Ebay (23/02) to cancel my subscription and request a refund, I had an online chat session with Customer Service who advised me to cancel the subscription online from my end and that it would then take a few days to process the refund. I contacted Ebay a few days later inquiring about the status of my Refund, I was again told it would be a few more days before the Refund was processed.

On 28/02 I received an email from Ebay Customer support confirming the cancellation my Ebay Plus subscription (by me) and further advising 'that as promised, I would receive a refund of my subscription within 3-4 business days'.

When I did not receive my Refund, I contacted Ebay again and had discussions with several customer service representatives who lied about their roles (one guy passed himself off as a manager), he said there was no one above him to escalate the matter. He then advised that I was not entitled to a refund because I cancelled >14 days outside of my renewal.

When I asked him to confirm the existence of the correspondence to me confirming I would be refunded my fees, he deflected by constantly changing topics. All I got were BS excuses advising I was not eligible to a refund contrary to written email undertakings provided on 28/02.

The most alarming part of this whole process is that I cancelled my subscription (as confirmed in an email from Ebay) however someone at Ebay has supposedly reinstated my subscription so that it will auto-renew again upon expiry.

How deceitful and fraudulent are these people?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

This is in answer to those who have asked to cancel your eBay Plus membership.

Go into the eBay Plus in your account and follow the prompts to cancel from there.

Messages here and calls to Live Chat will not help

Sadly the only way to contact eBay these days is via Live Chat - pretty sure you can request a call back, however you will be talking to the same people as before.

Thanks for your response, however I think you've missed the point. I want to complain about Ebay Customer service reps refusing to escalate an issue, pretending to be a manager, refusing to directly respond to my concerns even though they were advised that I would further escalate this matter. Unfortunately Ebay call centres are not operating at the moment, so the only thing you can do is contact Ebay via a chat session with an offshore operator who are trashing Ebay's reputation. I have a transcript of a 60 min chat conversation with customer service reps where they have blatantly lied in response to direct questions and made fools of themselves and their employer.

As a side issue I'm pretty sure Ebay is going to be more concerned with salvaging something of their reputation by refunding my subscription fee as promised in earlier email correspondence.

Really not much you can do I am afraid.

If you read the T&C's (as you are legally required to do prior to acceptance of any contract)  when signing up for eBay Plus (even if you are signing up for the Free Trial) all the information regarding cancellation are there for you to read, and as accepting you have agreed to the said terms.

If you failed to cancel giving the required notice stated in the T&C's you will be charged for the full monthly subscription.