Am I being scammed?

ebdow64
Community Member
Hi,
I recently saw a car for sale on Facebook market place and have contacted the seller.
She has the car for sale rather cheap and when I asked for more information she was quite articulate and stated that she had just settled a divorce and the car is now hers. She is with the Australian Royal Air Force and gets deployed soon so wants to sell the car cheap to give the funds to her mother who is looking after her children.
She wants to do the transaction via eBay and “escrow” such a pay pal?
They send it down, I have time to inspect the vehicle and test drive and within 5 days the funds will be transferred to her...
does this sound legit or am I being scammed.
She has also sent me copies of her passport and license when I expressed my concerns.
TIA
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Am I being scammed?

SCAM. (nuff said)

Edit - Fake ID's, fake info and there is no car.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

Definite scam.

All the flags are there, including the fact that Paypal does not do escrow in Australia. Once you pay her, she has your money. If she's a she. Otherwise he will have your money.

Also wanting to do the transaction on eBay. Why, when Facebook doesn't charge fees?

I would not be buying a car without personally inspecting it, especially if it is cheap. Of course it's cheap; it doesn't exist.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

Just to add my 2 cents

100% scam

No matter what she says or shows. Scam

I am pretty sure there was something quite similar (in the Air Force, got the car in a divorce) story last year

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

My son recently advertised a car for sale on another platform. The first enquiry came from a man whose first language was clearly not English. My son asked for some ID and was sent a photo of a driver's license of a young Australian guy living in NSW. My son replied and asked him to send a photo of himself with a shoe on his head holding the driver's license. Needless to say he never heard from the guy again.

After I stopped laughing, I asked my son why he wanted him to do that. He said then I'd know it was really him.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

I forgot to add, this man was also offering weird and wonderful payment methods which is why my son became suspicious.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

@simone4010 wrote:

My son recently advertised a car for sale on another platform. The first enquiry came from a man whose first language was clearly not English. My son asked for some ID and was sent a photo of a driver's license of a young Australian guy living in NSW. My son replied and asked him to send a photo of himself with a shoe on his head holding the driver's license. Needless to say he never heard from the guy again.

After I stopped laughing, I asked my son why he wanted him to do that. He said then I'd know it was really him.

I do that on dating sites. So many fakes on there. Good for him. Your son sounds very switched on

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

@ebdow64 wrote:
Hi,
I recently saw a car for sale on Facebook market place and have contacted the seller.
She has the car for sale rather cheap and when I asked for more information she was quite articulate and stated that she had just settled a divorce and the car is now hers. She is with the Australian Royal Air Force and gets deployed soon so wants to sell the car cheap to give the funds to her mother who is looking after her children.
She wants to do the transaction via eBay and “escrow” such a pay pal?
They send it down, I have time to inspect the vehicle and test drive and within 5 days the funds will be transferred to her...
does this sound legit or am I being scammed.
She has also sent me copies of her passport and license when I expressed my concerns.
TIA

I'm a bit late to the party here, but definitely a scam

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply