Ford i6 into Jag?

Anyone heard of this being done before? Just an idea I'm toying with, I have a sweet running 4.0MPFI with 4 speed auto out of an EL, just sitting around looking pretty, looms, ECUs, the lot, and the possibility of a very cheap XJ6 with a very shagged 4.2 motor.

NO... not at all interested in spending a couple of grand copying the oh so tired textbook and ramming a 308 or 350 into it, so let's not go there ๐Ÿ˜›

The motors seem, outwardly, similar in size and shape. I'm thinking if anything, the Ford donk might stand a couple of inches too tall, but could be just an illusion. Naturally mountings would need to be fabricated. Just wondering if anyone knows of the transplant being done (or tried) anywhere before?

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Ford i6 into Jag?

Ahhh that's better. See, 100mpg was possible, even back then. Wonder how it'd go with a 4.5HP B/S out of a Scott Bonnar?

the XJ40 might be a bit heavier than the series 1 or 2 XJ6 , a real luxo-barge..

That's what I want. Not concerned too much with sporty handling, or lively go. Happy to be floating along oblivious to the world around me.

Hang on.... you need a Volvo for that last line.

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

:^O  my friend had one (XJ40) they handle pretty well if i remember correctly. the problems i remember him having were electrical, things like warning lights constantly telling you it was low on oil and other things when it wasn't. he found it nerve racking .

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

Ahhh that's better. See, 100mpg was possible, even back then.

I just bought Dort No2 a Daihatsu Mira j with a massive 660cc 3 cylinder fuel injected engine 145/60/12 tyres (think wheelbarrow) have been replaced with 155/80/12 tyres and the fuel economy has gone from 400kms per 30 litres to 450 (bumpy) kms per 30 litres

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

:^O  my friend had one (XJ40) they handle pretty well if i remember correctly. the problems i remember him having were electrical, things like warning lights constantly telling you it was low on oil and other things when it wasn't. he found it nerve racking .

Guess the Ford motor would suit it well. Wouldn't feel out of place, my EL tells me coolant is low when it's not, oil pressure all over the place (goes off the scale at the top end at times) etc.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

If you remove the low coolant sensor from the header tank and clean it, it should function correctly once it's refitted.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply