Purchased a a stolen car

I purchesed a car on ebay in August last year. I checked the registration papers. I have the PPSR on the vehicle in August. The seller showed me the service history. He had two sets of keys. His ebay profile checked out. I consider I did everything possible to protect myself. The legal owner of the car  reported the car as stolen earlier this year. The police have taken posession of the car. Does ebay cover fraud of this kind?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Purchased a a stolen car

I doubt it.
It is up to you to do the necessary checks. Did you pay for a REVS report, that would have told you the car was stolen for sure.
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Purchased a a stolen car

You purchased the vehicle 5 or more months BEFORE it was reported stolen?

I have heard of this once before only..... Husband sells car with wife's verbal permission, then they break up and then she later reports car stolen because she wants her half of the car and the ex has already spent the money.

If your dates are correct, then it is fraud, but between the police and the owner, but I'm not sure that you are going to get the car back anytime soon unless it was in 2 names and you had both signatures on rego disposal form.

Good luck with this one.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Purchased a a stolen car

I just found out what the PPSR is. If you did that and it has now shown up as stolen isn't there some sort of purchaser protection as they have given it the all clear? I would ring them and find out if you qualify.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Purchased a a stolen car

In Nsw when a registered vehicle changes hands the registered owner is required to fill out the disposal/transfer form on the rear of the rego papers.

One of the requirements is the seller (registered owner) licence number shouid be recorded.

Did you personally check the sellers licence,  their picture (to confirm bonafide) and the licence number to make sure that the picture the licence number and the owners name correlated to the registered owners name on the rego papers??

If you did that then I do not see how you are where you appear to be right now.

If you did not physically check the "sellers" licence name, number and picture and correlated them to the

registration details at the time of sale then the "seller" could have easily recorded and signed the registered

owners name and licence number and therefore made everything appear hunky dory but could actually have been

Jack the ripper

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Purchased a a stolen car

Seems to me, the owner Fraudulenty reported it stolen. If its simply the car was in use by another party at the consent of the owner, then it is not stolen. In fact no crime has been commited until possession is given to somebody else or it is sold, in which case it's more like fraudulent conversion.

People are seriously misinformed if they think failure to return a vehicle consitiutes theft. Theft is taking possesion of an item without owners consent.

The police may have possession of the vehicle until the owner can be determined. Proof of ownership of a vehicle is another minefeild again. I would be seeking legal advice,not ebay advice

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply