Seller of a car with RWC and safety cert doesn't want to register it.

Hi,

The seller says that the car has RWC and a saftey cert, and even puts a photo of the safety cert in the description, but when I asked if they'd register it (at my expense) so I drive it away they replied 'don't really want to register it. probably best you get something closer to home.'

Is this something that should be reported for the benefit of the numerous other bidders?

Here's the ad...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251458588793&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The cert shows they are a car seller so they should register it.

But if you want the car why not get it registered yourself and ONLY pay after you have inspected the car and it is as described and you have test driven it (they should have a trade plate so ask about that) and happy with it.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

The listing states that it is a private seller.  I would hazard a guess that the Certificate was issued to the dealer who sold it to the current seller, who will not have trade plates.  I have no idea how long these certificates are current for, but it was issued at the very beginning of the month.

The sellers says he bought it to pull a bike trailer but it was not powerful enough.  That may be the truth or maybe not.  I would be a bit suspicious...that is something he should have checked out before buying.

He also states that you are bidding to buy not to inspect.

Be very sure that you check it out thoroughly before handing over your cash.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There is something suspect about the Safety Certificate....private sellers have up to 2 months before having to get another one, so the timing is OK.  But a new certificate must be obtained every time the car is sold.  That certificate was issued to a dealer and is now being used by a private seller.  I smell a rat....did he try pulling his trailer and wreck the engine, which is why he does not want to register it?

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

In QLD if the vehicle is unregistered then you do not need a safety certificate to sell it

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/2500000004/message-id/678

Selling an unregistered vehicle, trailer or caravan

Selling your unregistered vehicle, trailer or caravan involves a few steps. Sellers and buyers both have a responsibility when the sale takes place.

You can sell an unregistered vehicle in Queensland without a safety certificate. Once the buyer has inspected the vehicle to their satisfaction and agreed to buy, you will need to create a paper trail for the sale. Make sure to include:

• a signature from the person selling and the person buying
  • the vehicle identification number (VIN); or chassis number; and/or the engine number
  • the make and model of the vehicle
  • the date of the sale.

In most cases, a simple contract, transaction receipt or a carbon copy receipt is acceptable so long as it lists this information. Both the buyer and seller should sign it and keep a copy for their own records.

You will need to get another safety certificate as the dealer would have been required by law to remove the

plates,hand them in and supply a notice of transfer to queenslands roads for the the current seller. The safety

certificate is only valid for one transfer of title.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/roadworthy/index.html

How long are safety certificates valid?

The time a safety certificate is valid depends on who is selling the vehicle:

• licensed motor dealers—certificates are valid for 3 months or 1000km (whichever comes first) from the date of issue
  • all other sellers—certificates are valid for 2 months or 2000km (whichever comes first) from the date of issue.

You can use the same safety certificate to register an unregistered vehicle and then transfer the registration, as long as you do this within the limits set out above.

You will need to get a new safety certificate every time you sell a vehicle, even if you sell it within the limits set out above.

A single safety certificate can be used for 1 transfer only.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I notice the seller bid on approximately 21 cars in the last 30 days (and that's just on ebay)

... it is just as probable that they ended up with more than one car and had to resell one ASAP

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply