The EH unbuild rebuild thread.. out with the v6 and in with the trick 202 and celica box

So.. I have been helping a friend with his written of v6 EH. We are getting to the business end of the build so I thought I would put up some pics  The EH premier stationwagon...went like a demon but stopped like a fixed wheel pushbike Smiley Indifferent and he flipped it on a notorious Viewmont corner . (that those WRC cars will be hurling around again at 200ks plus in 8 weeks incidentally) with a full load of grog and 20 litre drums of old fish and chip oil that was destined for Viewys and frogs hollow "great bio fuel caper"

..... Guess what 1960s rubber.headlining,trim etc and modern vegetable oil do not mix...surprisingl

... He let the registration lapse so that a new Auvis inspection and reengineering was required.

He was originally going to replace the cactus subframe with another cut subframe, reinstall the v6 with a body stiffening kit. We also needed to change the front discs to ventilated ones (HQ or LH) to meet the new AUVIS regs which also required caliper change.....think lots of dollars... even before the engineer had his crack.......

So at his request  I notched the subframe for the v6 sump then reinforced it jigged and fitted the steering rack brackets for an LH rack, cut off the HR mounts and fitted plates to take the v6 mounts ..... about 12 months ago....... No work since....

He has decided now to go with a livened up black 202 and celica 5 speed ( which hopefully will usurp the engineers reprt requirement....... which means I need to fill the notch and remove the LH brackets and v6 mounting backets. Presently the cab is completely stripped and on a rolling trolley as we get it ready for paint

some pics of the EH sans subframe and front end with the buick v6 still insitu  Image0691.jpgImage0692.jpg

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 1 of 70
Latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

The EH unbuild rebuild thread.. out with the v6 and in with the trick 202 and celica box

donor stationwagon...a very rusty donor stationwagon might I add with the front end "walked off'.. I am gunna make a lounge or a barby surround out of the rusty front endImage0696.jpg

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 2 of 70
Latest reply

from post 1.......The roof and drivers B pillar had 'a little tweak' from the roof surfing debacle...... approximately 22mmm  to be precise out of square compared to the stationwagon donor... some porta powering...combined with the Zetor, an extremely solid shed 'mooring' post and a 20lb sledgie now has the cross measurements to within 1 mm.....

Message 3 of 70
Latest reply

just wondering where the whipper snipper fits in ..  i see you've given up on the aquarium too.

Message 4 of 70
Latest reply

lmao lakeland.... very perceptive all will be revealed in time.. some pics of the progress ... car stripped straightened and nearly ready for paintleofficiel 089.JPGleofficiel 090.JPG

Message 5 of 70
Latest reply

leofficiel 092.JPGroofs straighter and a new 2nd hand subframe being cleaned up.. just learned how to put on smaller pics

leofficiel 092.JPG

Message 6 of 70
Latest reply

The crossmember that was altered for clearance for the v6 sump. We have to fill the hole, remove the v6 engine mount brackets and replace them with the EH ones in the same position relaltive to the donors EH crossmember . The other cleats that are welded on the back were for the LH torana rack and pinion steering that was previously fitted.

leofficiel 093.JPGleofficiel 098.JPG

Message 7 of 70
Latest reply

some bits...but never the bit you want.... see the old hydramatic gearbox (no torque converter at the front) and flex plate with a weighted flywheel on an automatic

... do a completed listing search on "hydramatic damper plate" Smiley Very Happy ..that rusty one in the back of the pic might help fund some of the bits we still need

leofficiel 094.JPGleofficiel 100.JPG

Message 8 of 70
Latest reply

more bits.. The "red" motor with the chrome tappet cover is actually a black 202 from a  commodoreand has a 12 port  head. the other engine is a 186 and was xonnected to the hydramatic in the donor stationwagon. The gearbox is a cast iron case Celica box with a CRS  bellhousing X holden 6 with a push type clutch fork

leofficiel 099.JPGleofficiel 099.JPG

Message 9 of 70
Latest reply

Coming along nicely, its a bit like reading Australian Classic Car Magazine gratis. Obviously you like a bit of hard graft.. 300 plus dollars is a pretty good price for the damper plate, are they hard to find ?

Message 10 of 70
Latest reply