Buyer with excellent track record sent scam message?

New to ebay, tying to sell my phone, I strongly felt something was amiss, despite the fact that the buyer has a 100% and 254 feedback score. Sent the following message:

"I'm happy to pay $1300 including express post delivery to Miami, Florida. Kindly send me a PayPal money request to my email address below or send me a direct email to *****@gmail.com with your PayPal email address for instant online payment:

Many thank

I declined the offer. I don't understand the specifics scams as I'm new, but my intuition is screaming at me.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Yes a scam, good job you changed the listing to BIN and immediate payment. As was said in the other thread of yours, New Seller, High-priced item = scam attempts. 

Glad you spotted it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Ok I thought so

But it would have taken a lot of effort to build up credibility with a 254 rating, I can't believe a scammer would waste that much time, in the unknown attempt to try a scam afterwards. Most of the other attempts were by a new account and with 0 or 1 feedback

What exactly is the scam?

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

They could be collecting info on your details to try and hack.

Or they have already hacked and hijacked an account getting you to send the item using emails that look like they come from PayPal advising of payment. And because you are a new account they would know you have a 21 day hold so wouldn't realise until it's too late.

image host
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@yokkiber25 wrote:

What exactly is the scam?

They would have sent you a fake Paypal receipt or would have asked you to send the money to them "as a friend" where you would have had no seller protection. Those would have been the main ones but there are other devious ways of trying it on.

Edit. Slow today again Kopes.   "All for One" mate.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Just as a matter of interest your F & P stove top.  Did you list this on Rbay US.  Price in US@ and also states may not post to Australia.  Think you had better check the listing

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Good pick up daydreams.

OP, you will need to cancel the stove from the USA site then list on the Aus site.

ebay.com without au is the USA site.

image host
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

OP logged into US site to get immediate payment for their phone listing. Mustn't have changed back.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I don't think the OP reads the replies to his questions....all the time he was saying he could not find where to add the Immediate Payment he already had it on his listing.

He also does not seem to comprehend what listing tool he needs for that function.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

No I do read all replies, I turned off notifications though as I have a life outside eBay as well

I know what listing tool everyone is talking about, just couldn't find it on oz website

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply