Shipping for new seller clarification

Hello, I am new to selling on eBay and just sold my first item yesterday! (a pair of shoes). I did my research on postage prior but when it came to actually doing it I was still inexperienced and messed up a little. I printed the label off eBay, bubble wrapped my shoes and went into Auspost thinking I could get a large satchel off the shelf. But I realised that the in store satchels comes with postage. So I ended up having to buy a box instead which i had to fork out a little more from what the buyer paid. But it was alright as its a learning curve. So my question to this is : 

1. If I dont have the prepaid satchels with me, its best to go to Auspost and just get their satchels+postage and I have to manually fill in the details and then tracking number in eBay?

Is there any tips from experienced sellers regarding shipping? 

Thanks, stay safe and have a good day!

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You can purchase eBay or AP satchels from the Australia Post eBay store in 10 packs for $2.50 (small and medium). You then create and pay for a label and attach it to the satchel.

I wouldn't use prepaid satchels. Unless you buy in bulk, they are pretty much the most expensive option available.

If you are going to be a regular seller, you might want to look into MyPost Business. 8 parcels over a rolling 8 week period will give you cheaper prices than eBay labels.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@deli-3846 wrote:

1. If I dont have the prepaid satchels with me, its best to go to Auspost and just get their satchels+postage and I have to manually fill in the details and then tracking number in eBay?

I generally have a satchel on hand and get another if I use this one and the pricing works out the same as

using eBay labels as I live in the country and would always be charged eBay's highest zone postage rate

which then makes it the same price all up as AP postage.

I then upload the tracking number when I get home.

Most of my items are sent letter rate as they are less than 20 mm in thickness including packaging.good.gif

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

@deli-3846 wrote:

I generally have a satchel on hand and get another if I use this one and the pricing works out the same as

using eBay labels as I live in the country and would always be charged eBay's highest zone postage rate

which then makes it the same price all up as AP postage.

I then upload the tracking number when I get home.

Most of my items are sent letter rate as they are less than 20 mm in thickness including packaging.good.gif

That's not actually correct, tazz. The pricing is determined by the destination, not the point of origin. Although with eBay labels the discount is minimal. 30c on small satchels and nothing if they're going rural.

If you are sending 8+ parcels per 8 weeks the MyPost Business prices are cheaper, and the labels are half the size and use less ink.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@deli-3846 wrote:

Hello, I am new to selling on eBay and just sold my first item yesterday! (a pair of shoes). I did my research on postage prior but when it came to actually doing it I was still inexperienced and messed up a little. I printed the label off eBay, bubble wrapped my shoes and went into Auspost thinking I could get a large satchel off the shelf. But I realised that the in store satchels comes with postage. So I ended up having to buy a box instead which i had to fork out a little more from what the buyer paid. But it was alright as its a learning curve. So my question to this is : 

Is there any tips from experienced sellers regarding shipping? 

Thanks, stay safe and have a good day!

Prepaid satchels are convenient and not much more expensive, taking into account all costs including ink, but if you ever need boxes don't buy them, bunnings have free boxes ๐Ÿ‘ The big difference now with satchels is they all, including the small one, can hold up to 5 kg so as a comparison, if you sent something that weighed 510g in your own packaging, you would I think pay $12.20, where you could send in a small satchel for $9.20, provided it fits. Very much depends on turnover. High volume sellers split hairs, low volume like myself, not even worth the cost of ink and the space a printer takes up, prepaid satchels and tracked envelopes make my life very easy

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply