global shipping

Hello,

I purchased some t-shirts from the USA (me, Australia) and I look up to see what's happened to them and it looks like they went on a magical tour of the USA. They even went to Honolulu and then back to Canada. Look.

Monday, Nov 27, 2017 5:17 AMMATRAVILLE , NSCustoms Cleared
Monday, Nov 27, 2017 5:17 AMMATRAVILLE , NSIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 11:49 AMMASCOTIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 12:05 AMHONOLULU , HIIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Monday, Nov 20, 2017 11:14 PMHEBRON , KYIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Monday, Nov 20, 2017 10:19 PMErlanger , KentuckyShipped from the Global Shipping Center to International Destination
Monday, Nov 20, 2017 2:15 PMErlanger , KentuckyCustoms Documentation and Labeling
Monday, Nov 20, 2017 1:02 PMErlanger , KentuckyProcessing at Global Shipping Center
Friday, Nov 17, 2017 9:51 AMOn its way to ERLANGER , KYIn Transit-In Transit to Destination
Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 7:51 PMCINCINNATIARRIVAL AT UNIT
Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 7:51 PMCINCINNATIPROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 7:51 PMCINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTERIn Transit-Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 9:25 AMOn its way to ERLANGER , KYIn Transit to Destination
Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 9:25 AMOn its way to ERLANGER , KYIn Transit-In Transit to Destination
Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 9:25 AMOn its way to ERLANGER , KYIn Transit to Destination
Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 9:25 AMOn its way to ERLANGER , KYIn Transit-In Transit to Destination
Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 10:25 PMSAN BERNARDINO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTERDeparted USPS Regional Facility
Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 10:25 PMSAN BERNARDINO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTERIn Transit-Departed USPS Regional Facility
Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 6:02 PMSAN BERNARDINO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTERIn Transit-Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility
Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 5:59 PMSAN BERNARDINO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTERArrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 5:59 PMSAN BERNARDINO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTERIn Transit-Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 3:31 PMPERRIS , CAUSPS in possession of item
Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 3:31 PMPERRIS , CA

In Transit-USPS in possession of item

Sadly the vendor has no control over where my t-shirts go. This surely can't be the most direct way my parcel could have traveled over the past two weeks. I tried to track my parcel through USPS website and got Label Created, not yet in system:

A status update is not yet available on your package. 

I think this is the last time I use ebay. I'll find a different method of buying these t-shirts and getting them shipped to Australia a little bit more expensive but won't take two weeks to leave mainland North America. 

I hope my t-shirts bought me some souvenirs on it's trip around the USA and hopefully some selfies too!

Bigler22

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rsiz_87
Community Member

you'd assume that it would use the outbound service from Los Angeles, but the USPS contract for international is with DHL, which hubs through Cincinnati.  Out of LA, it's via ship, if it's plane and over a certain volume/weight constraint it goes DHL.  If it's under that, it could go FedEx, but that sends it to Memphis anyway, so it probably wouldn't be much faster.  The bulk of the time was inbound into Aus after getting dropped at DHL.  If it would have wen't FedEx, it might not stop enroute, but it also may.  DHL has some direct Cincy-Sydney planes, but also has one that stops in HNL, with Hawaii packages, I don't know if it pre-clears customs at CVG or they defer it to Hawaii.  They (and FedEx) have some 747 freighters that refuel in Alaska before continuing, those don't offload packages as you'd expect, dedicated planes fly local packages to Alaska, so customs isn't bothered with them.