Why is a PayPal Partial Payment for a refund "Pending" even though the money has left my bank?

Had a dispute with with a customer and they agreed to a partial refund.

I refunded the partial amount through the eBay system and the money after a few days came out of my bank account.

The buyer agreed to the partial refund and eBay notified me that they agreed to the partial refund.

1) If I look in eBay "Return details"

a) It states under "What has happened" that I offered a refund and the buyer has accepted it. 

b) eBay also states above this "Unfortunately, the refund that you sent didn't go through. To get more details or try again, go to PayPal"

2) If I log into PayPal The payment is pending.

3) If I log into the bank the money has come out.

I believe/understand that the reason for this is because the money has not actually been transferred into the payment method used by the buyer as yet and this is why it is Pending in PayPal? (For instance it could be going into his foreign bank account or into his credit union visa card that is linked to PayPal and the bank could take some time to do this)

Note: It has been three working days since the money left my Bank account.

What eBay could do:  They could change the stupid message shown in (1 b) above in  "Return Details" To something simple like "Your payment is being processed" (This may take 4-5 working days or as long as needed for the banks to transfer your payment into your buyers method of payment" !

Also Who knows what the message is at the buyers end in returns.

If returns are to work smoothly and effectively they should happen as quick as possible and with accurate information presented through eBay to seller and buyer.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

It can take 3-7 working days depending on which financial entity was used as you say.

If it's still pending after that, call PayPal they are usually very good with assistance.