Fixing Under performing Listings on Merchant Account

I've recently started working for a company and my job is to manage their ebay store. They have thousands of products, and when it comes to underperforming listings they request that I make minor changes to fix them. For instance, adding a space at the end of the title of a product and then saving it. It makes it go away, right? But I know in my mind this can't seriously be an anwser. Can anyone provide feedback on this?

View Entire Topic

Either they don't understand how things work or they haven't explained properly what they want you to do.  If they're trying to change something so that they aren't charged the 'maintenance' fee on underperforming listings, the only way to do that would be to either do something that makes them sell so they're no longer under-performing or relist them as a completely new listing so the bots don't recognise them as the same item/listing. 

It's probably impossible to do anything to the listing to get them to suddenly start selling but doing a heap of new listings can sometimes cause sales to increase.  Whether or not this will happen to the relevant listings is another matter, but at least if they're brand new listings then they have another year before they're (possibly) rated as under-performing again.

I don't really know whether the bots can pick up whether it's the same item or not if you use Sell Similar to do a new listing and change a few minor details, eg. change the title slightly, but it's always worth a try.  I had a big sales boost a few weeks ago and it "may" have been due to me using SS instead of relist, but changing minor stuff in the title when I did it, to fool the system into thinking they really were brand new listings.  A lot of people have said they seem to get a lot more sales whenever they do a heap of new listings, and that's why I did it.

Ask a Question