18% off last night - anyone sell anything?

I got an email earlier yesterday about some big eBay event at 6 pm last night.  I read something on here about an 18 years of eBay anniversary and they are giving 18% off storewide for two hours.

Unfortunately, I was busy with family obligations until past 9 pm and wasn't able to take advantage of this, but had hoped for some sales.

Nothing happened.  Did anyone else get any surge of sales?

I had also expected another email to arrive in my three inboxes for my accounts, to announce exactly what was happening, but there was such email, so I suspect a lot of people forgot about it?

This thread at OcBargain reveals what people were (or were not, in many cases) buying:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/331163?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_n...

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@springyzone wrote:

Given that ebay are advertising heavily here in metro Melb, you would think a sale like that would be just the thing to promote in some special ads. 18% is a lot.

I didn't see or hear anything about it. I doubt most other people did either. So that could be why sales didn't necessarily skyrocket during that time.

There has been a lot of advertising here in Sydney too Springy.  There was a segment on ACA on Wednesday night which was when I heard of this promotion.

I am glad I knew about it because I did not get the email and could not find anything on ebay at all until after 6.30pm when it appeared on my Home page.

I just put it down to ebay wanting to save money so they did not promote it as well as they could have.

What I do these days is keep a whol lot of items on my Watch List that I want to buy when there is an appropriate promotion.

If it is the same as the last few years there will be a series of promotions in the lead up to Christmas....I am all ready for them.

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

I wish I had tried to pay for more than 10 items.....I had to remove 2 items from one transaction to get back to 10.  Still they were only $2.05 each so the discount lost did not exactly break the bank.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

I've used a few discount promos now where I've paid for whatever was unpaid. I didn't add anything to the cart (they were all auctions), I just hit Pay Now in my purchase history, which brought all the items up in that currency, applied the code, checked it worked, then proceeded to pay. I think the last promo was either 10 or 20% and one transaction had nearly 50 items (Mr Tippy should not leave me home alone LOL!).

Try it next time. I know a cheap item doesn't work out to be much of a discount, but if there are 50 cheap items it adds up. Last night I wasn't sure if the discount had applied to all the items there, so I got the calculator out and it was correct to the last cent, for all the items there.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

Dagnabbit! I have been wanting to buy extra cameras for my CCTV system (I have 4 but it will take 8). Looking around the B&M stores it is almost cheaper to buy another whole kit with 4 cameras than buy 4 on their own. An 18% discount could have netted me a big saving. I have 4 accounts I could have used. I might do what you do and add some to my watch list for when the Christmas discounts come out.

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

I had an unpaid auction item which was in my Cart when I added the other items.  That has been happening for some time now.  I have often been able to use promo discounts on auctions.

You need more than one paypal account if you want to use the promos on other accounts.

I was on a buying spree a few months back and used my limit of 2 transactions on this ID so went to my other one.  When I tried to check out paypal told me I had used the promo already.  That is how ebay controls the number of transactions....use the limit and that is it.

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

I tried to buy some beer and wine but when I went to the items I wanted ( 6 different ones) they all showed no stock available mmmm.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

We got not a single sale anywhere during the time frame.

Nor did we receive any email notification of the actual even across al 5 of our IDs.

Have heard of a few other bigger sellers of big tcket items having a bonanza tho.

And I think the packaging suppliers would have done very well as sellers stocked up on packaging supplies at a good price.

I had to go with my third-choice postage supplies supplier, as the first two were out of stock. At 1845.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

Why would you think it is suspicious?

The 18% discount was funded by ebay....the seller would have received the full amount of the item.

If he deliberately put the items as out of stock he was going to miss out on sales.

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

i didn't have a single sale during the promotion either. didn't help that even though i received the email, when i went to the ebay main page while the offer was active, there was no sign of the discount code or promotion. i assume this might have been the case for others too. 

seems like the biggest plug for it was a segment on a current affair the previous night. i even tried plugging on social media with the discount code once i found it on the forums, but still no sales unfortunately.

way to go all out ebay - 18 years of rorting everyone and the most you could give for a promotion was 4 hours? woohoo.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

I mentioned this 18% off items over $75 to someone today who does not normally shop on eBay.

Straight away she said why would you not just buy your own items (or have a friend buy them) to get them cheap. Then relist them after the sale ends for the same full price. Make a quick 18% on the deal.

How would that work. Seems a bit convoluted to me.
Message 20 of 24
Latest reply