4 Auctions 4 Non paying bidder's

Hi and thanks to everyone for their advice it has made our experiences on ebay fun.

New problem I had 4 auction's that ended on Friday and I have received no payment or communication for any of them.

I have sent a reminder invoice and 2 email's the first one asking if there is any problem the next one to remind them that payment is due (I know I didn't put down please pay within 3 days on 3 of them but I did on the fourth).

I was advised Friday was a bad time to end auction's as it's Ebay maintenance day and item's go missing, would this be the problem if so how would I fix it.

Is it possible to get 4 non paying bidder's at once?

Our first bump in the road and it's a big one

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

alot of people take 3 days meaning 3 working days given that auctions ended Friday & Monday being Holiday ill give it a couple of more days. 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I have this quite often  - send 1st invoice, then 2nd 24 hours later - no payment by 4th day  I ask them to process payment within 48hours for the transaction to be finalised  then no $$$  I raise a dispute with ebay then it makes them move ( most of them anyway) .... the excuse of lost invoices is just that - an excuse, if you got the invoice on your email I bet they did too.     I have issues every time I list & we should be able to rate the buyer just like they can rate the seller so maybe they would be a bit more considerate.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I know it must be both frustrating and disappointing, especially given it's currently 4 for 4, but I find the best thing to do is work out a standard "plan of action" to deal with the situation and that minimises the time and attention given to non-responsive, non-paying buyers.

For me, that means a stated time-frame for payment in the listing. On this ID, I occasionally list casually and state payment within 5 days (this is a matter of practicality, as an Unpaid Item Dispute can not be opened until 4 days from the date of sale, and it also gives a clear time-frame for me to reasonably take certain actions like contacting the buyer directly and/or opening a dispute).

eBay also automatically send a payment reminder 48 hours after the sale, I actually switch those off and send my own message to the buyer on day 4, but if you leave them switched on, I would be a little wary of the buyer feeling slightly bombarded with payment requests within a few days, even though I also think it's a bit impolite to bid and win, then disappear and/or ignore communications entirely. 

If a buyer has not responded to my direct enquiry after a certain amount of time (average 48 hours), I add their ID to my blocked bidder list and open the dispute without further contact.

Sometimes they pay shortly thereafter, sometimes they don't, and even though all-up it's 8+ days before I can officially do something with an item if the don't pay, actual time spent chasing up one transaction is around 2 minutes (my direct message is pre-written and copy/pasted).

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Our success rate with auctions is that about 1 in 50 end up with bids.  This across both our store IDs.

Of those about 50% end up in an unpaid item case. No communication or response from the buyers at all. Usually (but not always) low FB score buyers.

So we only put up auctions when ebay give out the free insertion fees.

At $1.50 we simply cannot afford the insertion fee loss rate. As our items only average about $10 each.

The one good thing tho it does seem to give a little boost to our BIN sales. We assume this means that some buyers jump into our store from the auction listing and see something else they want instead.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

It is absolutely pointless asking for or expecting payment before the end of 4 days as that is how long ebay give a buyer before the seller can do anything, they still have another 4 days after that. If I was sent multiple reminders and invoices on top of the ebay reminder that goes out after 2 days then I would perhaps feel like getting my own back by waiting until the last 5 mins of the dispute end time before paying.

I don't send an invoice as there is a pay now button on the item purchased email, ebay send a reminder on day 2 and if I haven't heard anything by the end of day 3 I send the invoice with a note asking for details of how they made their payment as I have been unable to trace it, no way do I accuse them of not paying or ask them to hurry up. If I still don't hear anything by the end of day 4 I open the dispute. It is very rarely I have to close one without payment being made.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Didn't know about the automated invoice's but I do now and it will be put in our little book of hints and tip's.

Yes I would be annoyed at being bombarded by emails but I honestly thought there was a problem. so I wont be doing that again. Also placed in the book.

Starting to realise that just cause I pay straight away I should'nt expect others to do the same. Book is getting full might have to buy another.

Now to convince my junior partner that she has to be patient we are new at selling and there will be a few bump's in the road to success. We are still having fun and at the moment that is all that count's.

Thanks to everyone we are over our first bump and look forward to listing again in the new month.

Keep up the good work your advice is invaluable.

almost forgot we have taken everyone's advice and two have paid with an apology about the delay.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Hi

Sorry to hear of your latest Ebay bad experience.  I have set up buyer parameters so that people who have no feedback, or neg, etc are unable to bid.  There is a list of ones you can choose.  Its in the set up area.  I find I dont have as many issues now.  Just the rude folk which I wish Ebay would set a parameter for!! lol

Kind regards

aabfab1972

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
Exactly which option can you use to block zero feedback buyers as there most certainly is no such option.
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Has newly discovered the boards, tstore. At least they haven't dragged up years old threads. Yet.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply