A buyer wants to view an item before purchasing

a buyer would like to see the item before deciding to purchase

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

That's quite normal especially if it's a pick up item.

If you are not keen to have people in the house I often greet people with items at the back under the pegola so they don't go into the house at all.

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Unfortunately, eBay no longer allow that to happen. A buyer has to buy before eBay will allow you to exchange contact details. They are paranoid that if the buyer comes to inspect, they will pay for it and leave, with the transaction not being conducted on eBay. If you try to give the buyer your details, eBay will threaten you with all sorts of bad stuff.

All you can really do is tell the buyer to hit the buy button but not pay. You can then give them your details. They can come and inspect. If they decide the want it, they can pay you in cash and you mark the item as paid and posted. If they decide they don't want it, cancel the transaction while they are there and ask them to accept the cancellation. Don't use the out of stock option. Use something like an issue with buyers address. If you use out of stock you'll get a big slap from eBay.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I got a slap on the wrist a few months ago for giving out my address for buyer to coming and try on before buying.

Yesterday a buyer emailed me about an item (which I had the wrong size listed). I replied and mentioned I had something else in the size she was after. Following on from the original conversation she emailed she had purchased the other item and would like to pick up. All good. So I responded with my address and phone number etc.   BANG! eBay blocked the message siting addresses and phone numbers are against policy! Doh!

Everything was legit it was only that we were emailing via the item she didn't buy!

if people want to view or try on something, I just explain the policy and suggest they buy it but if it doesn't fit I'm happy to cancel the sale. The other option is to list on G/tree and let them know, a bit sneaky but saves the hassles of cancelling a sale and relisting etc if the buyer doesn't want it.

just be careful if you supply an address or phone number. Big Brother is watching!

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I had forgotten about that one as I don't seem to get a warning anymore.

Perhaps it is because I wrote eBay a very stern letter warning them of ramifications if they do it again.

image host
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

you canget around ebay robots by writing out numbers as words: examples such as:::::

zero four one four one two three four five six.

janeababe at ebay dot com dot a u 

Man Tongue

Personally, ebay has too many tin foil hats on. So suspicious that people *might* do the wrong thing, that they cant see the forest for the trees..... yet... when pointed out about those who actually are doing the wrong thing, they turn a blind eye!

Go figure.

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

All you can really do is tell the buyer to hit the buy button but not pay. You can then give them your details.

If it is one of the items that ebay have removed the commit to buy button from (some they have, others they haven't), then you still cant give details until checkout complete and your item is showing as sold. Hitting buy now isn't enough. You will need to select cash on pick up as a payment option in your listing, otherwise they will not have the option not to pay before inspection.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply