Advice for item not received and seller not communicating

Hi fellow Ebayers

I am just after some advice on what action I should take for an item that has not arrived. The auction finished on the 5th of June and I paid with Paypal immediately. That weekend was a long weekend so the following Monday was a public holiday and the seller listed an estimated handling time of 2 business days. So I waited until Thursday evening before checking to see if the seller had posted it. I noticed that it wasn't marked as sent so I sent the seller a message. He responded by saying that he had sent it by auspost "earlier in the week", which means that he either sent it Tuesday or Wednesday. 

My local postman always take our parcels to the post office if no one is home. So I sent the seller another message asking for the tracking number so I can make sure someone is homE because I am at work during post office hours for the week. It has now been nearly 5 days and there has been no response. I understand that ebay's rules dictate that sellers are not obligated to provide a tracking number but 5 days with no response seems a bit dodgy. The seller is definitely casual as his last item sold was over 6 months ago so I don't understand why he cant manage a response.

The seller sent the item from Sydney and from experience mail sent through auspost usually takes between 2-3 days (I know there may be delays due to covid-19 but my other parcels have all arrived in this timespan) to arrive at my address so it really should have arrived by now. Given that he hasn't even provided proof of shipping and ebay's estimated delivery date was 12/6-16/6, I am not sure what action I should take. Should I wait a bit longer before opening a INR case?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I know it's hard, but I would wait one more week.   If nothing happens by Monday when the post is in, I would open a dispute.   I would wait this time because we all know deliveries are being delayed.

I would not attempt any more messages - but that is just me, it gets on my wick when people don't answer.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Personally, I would not open a INR as soon as eBay's guess date hits

Just because some of you mail has arrived at a 'normal/usual' speed does not mean all mail will (it could just as easily mean you have been very lucky so far)

If I were buying things on line at this time, I would be more patient than usual 

That is just me though

There is plenty of time to open an INR  yet

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks for the advices. Normally, I am not too bothered about the delivery times or tracking numbers and just go and collect my parcels from the post office. But the item is intended for as a gift for a friend's birthday this friday so I thought nearly 2 weeks should be plenty of time for something to be sent from Sydney even with current delays. The fact that the seller won't provide proof of shipping makes me suspect that I may have been scammed. Hopefully, that is not the case. 

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

I posted two items in Sydney on the Tuesday following the long weekend. Both are going interstate but are still showing as sitting in Sydney. Like others have said, try and wait another week, although I guess it is hard if the seller doesn't want to advise you of the tracking.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Did the cost of the postage appear high enough to actually cover tracking?

If postage definitely covers tracking then I don't understand why sellers don't put in the tracking number as soon as they get it and have posted the item. It makes life so much easier for both parties and avoids stress and disputes.

Sellers who don't respond to postage concerns or reasonable requests to provide tracking give me the absolute irrits and always come across as dodgey.

I would stop communicating with the seller, give it another day or so and then open a case for Not Received. The onus then falls on the seller to formally provide tracking or to refund you within a few days. If the item then turns up, you can make arrangements to repay the seller.

I had this happen with an item I sent to the US back in April. Just a small envelope which didn't have tracking and was low value. Item didn't arrive within reason (considering pandemic) and buyer opened a case, which was reasonable under the circumstances as she had already waited almost 2 months. I refunded her and then just yesterday she contacted me to tell me it had arrived and she would like to repay.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

@joelhan13 wrote:

Hi fellow Ebayers

I am just after some advice on what action I should take for an item that has not arrived. The auction finished on the 5th of June and I paid with Paypal immediately. That weekend was a long weekend so the following Monday was a public holiday and the seller listed an estimated handling time of 2 business days. So I waited until Thursday evening before checking to see if the seller had posted it. I noticed that it wasn't marked as sent so I sent the seller a message. He responded by saying that he had sent it by auspost "earlier in the week", which means that he either sent it Tuesday or Wednesday. 

My local postman always take our parcels to the post office if no one is home. So I sent the seller another message asking for the tracking number so I can make sure someone is homE because I am at work during post office hours for the week. It has now been nearly 5 days and there has been no response. I understand that ebay's rules dictate that sellers are not obligated to provide a tracking number but 5 days with no response seems a bit dodgy. The seller is definitely casual as his last item sold was over 6 months ago so I don't understand why he cant manage a response.

The seller sent the item from Sydney and from experience mail sent through auspost usually takes between 2-3 days (I know there may be delays due to covid-19 but my other parcels have all arrived in this timespan) to arrive at my address so it really should have arrived by now. Given that he hasn't even provided proof of shipping and ebay's estimated delivery date was 12/6-16/6, I am not sure what action I should take. Should I wait a bit longer before opening a INR case?

Wait. You want to open a case that soon? I'll ask the question also. How much did you pay for the item (including postage) and was that enough for tracked postage? I recently bought a heap of beer coasters, don't ask me why, just a random purchase 😂 which included free postage, won them cheap, fully expected they couldn't be sent with tracking. Never even gave postage time a second thought. They arrived in due course.

My guess is your item has been sent without tracking. So what's the problem? You expect it to arrive in 2-3 days? Wow. You are aware mail has taken up to 3 weeks within the same state at times recently? Sorry I'm just a bit gobsmacked by your expectations

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Oops, probably been sent without tracking

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Off topic but you seem quick to fire off those red dots for slow delivery, yet reluctant to leave positive feedback. All about you by the looks

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

Off topic but you seem quick to fire off those red dots for slow delivery, yet reluctant to leave positive feedback. All about you by the looks

Off topic, but for someone often whinging about how others are "trolling" you, you sure aren't afraid to go have a crack at others for no reason at all, dusty.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 10 of 18
Latest reply