Advice please! Buyer changed their mind when best offer was accepted

I had an offer on ebay. I accepted it, and invoiced the buyer.

I then get a message, "sorry, she has changed her mind"

I am so sick of this.  Do I not contact them, and then open a dispute after  4 days, or cancel the transaction,

as buyer has changed their mind?

Thanks for reading 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I would send a cancellation, buyer changed mind.

Then send a message along the lines of  "Can you please accept the cancellation so I can get the fee back, Thank you".

Then it will be sorted and ready for relisting immedately. And less chance of buyer using feedback to voice their opinion.

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I am not as kind as Kopes, I would wait the 4 days and open an unpaid item dispute. The numpty buyer deserves a strike and if it not their first they will not be able to bother me or other sellers who have their blocks in place.

If they are so silly as to make an offer on something and then change their minds do you realy trust them to tick the riight box if you send a cancellation request?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I also agree with PJ, especially as they may be doing this on a regular basis. Smiley Wink

Up to you OP, you may be able to gauge from their message whether they appear to be decent and genuine. 

image host
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I don't mind buyers cancelling as there was no sale to begin with before the buyer took any interest in the item. It's ebay who have to fix the problem by allowing items that have been cancelled to be instantly re-listed and any fees incurred reimbursed to the seller without the need to chase it up with ebay and follow a time poor get your fee back ritual

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I think I have decided what to do, due to the feedback.

This person has zero feedback left and registered July this year.  So either, they have started a new account, due to being kicked off, or they are new buyers and don't know the system.

I have come to a conclusion, they will have to learn the hard way, and yes, get a strike.  I am usually very understanding and forgiving, but they had time to retract their offer before I accepted.

I feel terrible about it, especially if they end up paying and then leaving me negative feedback, but I will wear it!

I have not been on the forums for some months now, as I believe the moderator's are reading every word and may have something to do with being punished.  I have been reading the forums, and seeing the moderator's pop up from time to time, which I haven't seen before.  Just another conspiracy theory!

There are other factors for sales dropping, which have been written to death, so I have now come to a conclusion, there is life beyond eBay, and I will look after my buyers the best I can, but not go so easy on time wasters.

Thank you for your input, which made it easier for me to make a decision.

Retro Vintage

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

there is life beyond eBay, and I will look after my buyers the best I can, but not go so easy on time wasters.

Good to hear retro and good for you. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I get next to no non payers but I do open a fair number of unpaid item disputes which are invariably paid for. To date not one of them has left me a neg.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I think you've done the right thing. PJ is right.

Look at it this way. If this is their first strike, it won't harm them and will be a learning experience. They will learn that no, you can't just blithely say 'oh we have changed our mind', that there are consequences.

They don't have to go ahead with the purchase at all. You could even message them if you wished and say you understand they no longer wish to go ahead, they will see a dispute process start but they need not reply at all, you are just going through the ebay process to get your listing and sales fees refunded and  they don't need to do anything, the dispute will close after a few days.

If they have only one strike, their buying privileges won't be restricted at all. It will only be if they continue not paying that they will eventually get another strike and if they are habitual non payers, well, then the strikes would be good things.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply