Are any sellers experiencing an increase of buyers stating "unauthorized use of buyer account" ?

roca_industries
Community Member

Ive had 2 in the last week along with a chargeback case raised against me with Paypal...

All goods have been delivered and signed for by the buyer....tracking shows this.

Some of the transactions date back to Nov 2017

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Are any sellers experiencing an increase of buyers stating "unauthorized use of buyer account" ?

I had one yesterday - gimp bought an item, paid via PayPal, and sent through a cancellation request about two hours later.

Claimed his bank had phoned him saying that they had "issues" with the transaction.

In my experience, a PayPal payment doesn't get debited from a bank account until a day or two after it's made - I find it very hard to believe that the transaction had shown up at the bank's end within two hours...

In so many cases, "unauthorized" use" is actually "changed my mind" or "don't need it now"...

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Yeah feels like its an elaborate scheme for them to get their money back on an item they received and signed for...

One of the purchases dated back to the 12/11/17...

Wheres the protection for the seller......

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

@roca_industries wrote:

Yeah feels like its an elaborate scheme for them to get their money back on an item they received and signed for...

One of the purchases dated back to the 12/11/17...

Yep. In this case, I processed the order into our computer system, sourced the item from our warehouse, packaged it for post, and was actually on the way to the post office when I got a phone call telling me that the "buyer" had requested a cancellation.

So, the item is unpacked and goes back into stock, and I have to go into our computer system and undo all the paperwork, then refund the "customer" - who walks away laughing. Naturally, eBay Customer Service sided with the buyer - even advised me to send the item out, so that the buyer could return it!

But, given the nature of the item which was purchased, I may yet have the last laugh...

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@roca_industries wrote:

PayPal provide it.

They can't stop chargebacks from happening, but if you give them proof of postage (i.e. documentation showing that the package was sent to the buyer), you should qualify for seller protection and you won't lose your funds even if the chargeback is succesful. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Update - the buyer has now been in touch saying that he didn't want to cancel the order (refund already issued), and wishes to proceed with the purchase... 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

yes all that has been provided.

The issue is you have several of these cases opened against you and Paypal puts a hold on those funds...hows that fair on the seller.

At this point they have a hold several hundred dollars of money that could be in my account earning interest and paying bills...

Even their review policy states that it could take up to 30 days !!....again how is that fair on the seller.

Most of these are from the hubby to scared to tell his wife he bought something that he shoudlnt have....lol

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply