Are these 20% Promotions Ebay Run For Partners, Helping Or Hindering Sales For Other Sellers

Hi Guy's,

Just wanted your thoughts on this.

I notice Ebay runs a lot of these 20% promotions every month. Thegoodguys, Binglee, Sony etc benefit greatly from being.... in a way, over-promoted. The marketing and advertising of these stores is not limited to just the ebay homepage either. I've had a "goodguys" banner directly underneath the "place a bid" box on my listings when i was selling an appliance.

My question is, have you experienced any slow down that coincides with these promotions?

From a buyer point of view, these promotions occur so frequently, it's almost expected every week. Why buy now, when you can wait a few weeks for another 20% off promotion?

It's certainly great for the buyers, but for the sellers point of view who are not benefitting from these 20% discounts, I just wonder what u guys think...

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Are these 20% Promotions Ebay Run For Partners, Helping Or Hindering Sales For Other Sellers

I think it affects the site (and members) in a few ways.

Overall, for impulse buys (i.e. if people are enticed to spend money they normally wouldn't have), that's money they won't have to spend anywhere else, but for the planned purchases it likely means people will wait for discounts and not spend that money with anyone until one pops up. Ultimately, though, it tends to mean more spendage would be pooled twoards a select few sellers, which - while I recognise brings buyers to the site - is not something I view as a sustainable longer-term strategy, and may ultimately have a detrimental effect on everyone (that's one of the reasons I run promos and sales quite sparingly, if they're run too often it can come across as a manipulative gimmick - note, I'm not referring to permanent discount promos, like buy X get X discount or what have you, that's not really any different from the permanent P&H discounts I have in place). 

If you think about it, since eBay are funding the discounts, it's pretty much like eBay giving these sellers kickbacks every month for staying on the site, but in a way that benefits their stats and takes traffic away from others, as well. (Just as a somewhat-related aside, but an example of what I'm talking about stat-wise, often the promos - especially the site-wide ones - don't include postage, which encourages people to favour free-post items because even if a free-post one is a bit more expensive, the discount can mean it still works out cheaper than one with post added separately. That then creates manipulated stats regarding things like X% buyers buy free post items). 

That being said, I often can not be bothered waiting for a promo to save a few dollars, and while on some occasions I've bought from one of the sellers eBay were providing discounts for, on others I've chosen different sellers whose products didn't qualify (usually for reasons like convenience, better history / higher quality product and/or service, occasionally price). No idea if I'm in the minority, majority, or just average though. 😄 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

I have taken advantage of the 20% discounts several times in the last 2 years.....I have bought 3 DVD players for myself and family members from The Good Guys and Bing Lee, saving anything from $90 to $130.

In the last promotion I bought a chest freezer but have not yet picked it up.

As far as I am concerned these regular promotions are great as I would normally buy from these stores anyway and their online prices are the same as I would get instore.

I am happy to let ebay pay 20% of my items....and I would not buy them on ebay without the discount.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply