Auction ending an hour early

wesmac
Community Member

I used to always time my selling auctions to end at 7pm on a Saturday. I found it worked very wlell I had one set to end tonight at 7pm and it ended at 6pm and automatically relisted.  Does eBay think I'm on DST ?     Anyone waiting for nearly 7pm to bid would have missed out.  I think I'll close my store and sell on some other site.l

And this word processor doesn't work - it loses whole sentences and you have to retype them.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay work on Eastern Time. At the moment that is Daylight Savings Time. So, yes. Since the first Sunday in October.

Of course ONE alleged glitch, of ONE hour, would cause you to leave. Spoiler alert - eBay won't notice or care. And on previous experience with people threatening to leave, if I check your ID in a month or so, you'll still be selling.

I can't help with your word processor. I type directly into the box. If I wanted to compose a novel, I would type it into Notepad, copy and paste.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

if I check your ID in a month or so, you'll still be selling.

..............and probably still paying eBay for a store with one item in it.............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

As an aside, if someone places a bid on your item, the BIN price disappears and if the bidder wins, your item is sold for 450 in which you are obligated to complete the sale.

A BIN is not a reserve, eBay Aus doesn't use reserves.

So if you are expecting 1500 for the item you need to start the auction at 1500.

image host
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@wesmac wrote:

I used to always time my selling auctions to end at 7pm on a Saturday. I found it worked very wlell I had one set to end tonight at 7pm and it ended at 6pm and automatically relisted.  Does eBay think I'm on DST ?     Anyone waiting for nearly 7pm to bid would have missed out.  I think I'll close my store and sell on some other site.l

And this word processor doesn't work - it loses whole sentences and you have to retype them.

Says it finished at 7pm for me. 

Anyone who had been waiting for nearly 7pm to bid, probably had it on their watch list, and would have been alerted that the item was ending soon. Exactly how many watchers did you have on it?

Probably a good idea to close your store, given you have had it open for over a year without having anything listed. What a complete waste of money. I've never understood why people keep willingly giving eBay money for absolutely nothing. 

As for word processors, do they still exist? I thought they went out in the 1930's. I don't lose whole sentences in the text box where I type here. In the event something accidentally gets deleted, I hit ctrl-z and it magically reappears. Just like that!

Good luck selling your item on "another site". That kind of thing probably wouldn't do well on most sites, unless it was a private auction house, where you would pay a truck load of fees. People in the market for that kind of thing would probably come here to look. Your call though. Ebay certainly won't miss you. Especially all that bad feedback you got before you had a year or more off selling.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

As an aside, if someone places a bid on your item, the BIN price disappears and if the bidder wins, your item is sold for 450 in which you are obligated to complete the sale.

A BIN is not a reserve, eBay Aus doesn't use reserves.

So if you are expecting 1500 for the item you need to start the auction at 1500.

Op has well in excess of 1000 feedback as a seller. One would hope they would know that. Although, anyone who pays for a store with nothing in it for over a year, it's anyone's guess. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply