Breakage

Hi there. I accidentally dropped two small ornaments I sold and smashed them while wrapping them. I will message the buyer and refund the money. Do I have to cancel the order? Help!
Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Breakage

I would do the following - message the buyer and explain about the breakage, provide pics so they know I'm being genuine. If you have any alternative items available that the buyer may still like that are of comparable value, offer a substitute. If not, or if they don't want any other items, say something like "under the circumstances, I think the best course of action will be to cancel the transaction and issue a refund, however if you would prefer an alternative option, please let me know". (You can add here another bit saying something like "if I'm not able to confirm your preference by X date, I'll go ahead and cancel the order).

Wait for their reply, and if they agree to the cancellation, cancel the order, selecting 'buyer requested to cancel', this will automatically issue a refund and (unlike some other options), won't issue a defect on your account. 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Breakage

As DG said, definitely send photos, because a common thing for sellers is to say they broke something, when they either didn't get enough at auction, or they realise afterwards they could have got a lot more as a BIN than they listed. The buyer will be unserstandably upset. Don't be at all surprised, even if you do everything right, that they give you neutral or negative feedback. If they do, cop it on the chin and maybe even put a polite reply apologising (that's what I did when I had a similar thing happen). Hopefully it won't come to that and the buyer is OK. Don't worry if they don't accept a cancellation. It will time out in 10 days automatically.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Breakage

Ok thank you both I'll try that.
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply