Buyer claims bag isn't leather... but it definitely is!

Hi All,

I've been selling casually for a few years now but never come across this before.  The buyer of a leather handbag has opened an eBay dispute claiming the bag I sold her is not leather and I misrepresented it by saying it was.

The thing is, the bag definitely is leather!  I purchased it off eBay myself and was struck by that undoubtedly leathery smell when I fist opened the packaging.  I don't understand how she can think it isn't but there's no universal test and eBay are hardly going to send officials around to check!
What should I do?  I really resent having to pay her a refund and postage both ways on an item I did not misrepresent.

😞

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The buyer will need to prove it isn't leather, by providing Paypal with a letter from a neutral, experienced source on a letterhead.

you won't need to pay the shipping both ways as part of a dispute; the buyer will be required to send it back to you, tracked, before Paypal gives them back the initial payment.

So the buyer will be out of pocket too.

if you have no actual proof that it is definitely real leather, it will be hard to disprove something from the buyer that says it isn't, if they get anything in writing. Did it have any stamping saying it was leather? That could help you with Paypal if you have any pics.

you may just have to accept it...without acknowledging it isn't, if you see what I mean.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Or if you know who made it, a letter from the manufacturer stating it is genuine leather.

that would help.

you can also ask Paypal what you might need to do:

tel:1800-073-263

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Thank you!  She hasn't actually opened a Paypal dispute yet, just going through the eBay channels.

I've asked why she thinks it isn't leather.

I can't help but wonder if she's just decided she doesn't like the shape/colour and wants an easy refund. 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Possibly.

if you think it is for change of mind, you could offer to take it back without admitting anything, out of good will, if the buyer pays the shipping. That is up to you.

or let it go the official route.

it also depends on whether you will have more for sale...thinking about if she left an unfair neg.

if she does, you can leave an unemotional, factual follow up comment to neutralise it.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply