Buyer has paid for item but now does not reply to messages regarding pick up.

abee693
Community Member

Hi,

I have sold a pair of chairs on 14/12/2014 and the buys at first did not contact me or pay for the item. I contacted him a few time and finally he paid on the 18/12/2014. Now he does not reply to my messages and I have had no contact from him.

I specifically wrote 'pick up only' as the option and in one of the only messages I got from him he asked for my details so a courier could come. apart from that I have no contact information about the buyer either.

I have to get rid of this item and need to figure out what my rights are here. Can I cancel the sale? Do I refund him? What a hassle! Help!

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Bit of a tricky one here. If you cancel the transaction and refund the Buyer, you will get a defect. 😞  Contact the Buyer again ( through ebay ) and very politely say that you need confirmation of Dispatch. Give them a Deadline.  It sounds like they may be away for a while ?? No excuse though.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Does the buyer live near you whereby they can pick up?

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I sold a stool on the 20/11/2014.  The buyer paid for it straight away, and I have emailed them on serveral occasions  to pick the item up. I Still haven't heard anything, so in my case, I will now re sell the item.  If  my item then re-sells, and the first buyer never gets back to me, I will keep the money (storage costs, re-listing fees etc). 

If the buyer gets back to me which I doubt it,  I will refund them partially,

I have sold a few items twice as buyers never came to pick up the item, but I also guess how much money are you looking at.  If the item is worth a couple hundred dollars, then you would have to refund the buyer.  I would give it another two weeks, if there is no contact, re sell the item.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@horizon1907 wrote:

Bit of a tricky one here. If you cancel the transaction and refund the Buyer, you will get a defect. 😞  Contact the Buyer again ( through ebay ) and very politely say that you need confirmation of Dispatch. Give them a Deadline.  It sounds like they may be away for a while ?? No excuse though.

Again this rears it's ugly head. I said the other day in another thread that Paypal should NOT be able to be selected as a payment option for pick up items & this is another example of why it shouldn't. In this case all it does is cause the seller anxiety about what could or will happen. And this is the reason I only list pick up items on Gumtree & not here.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Contact ebay and ask what you need to If you refund you will not get your fees back you can also get his phone number go to advance search . Request contact information enter the über idea an the item number. You will receive an email with his number
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Meant user ID this was a typing error
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I am a bit inclined to agree with you as far as reselling the item goes.

It may not be ebay's policy but sometimes it is probably worth getting a defect.

In Abee's case, I would be inclined to write an email, saying that I would extend the pick up period till eg 14 Jan, but after that I would need to relist as I could no longer store it. And that the buyer was welcome to either arrange pick up before then or get a refund, but refund would be minus storage fees of x amount per week. I would not charge for the first week though!

The sale was only on 14 Dec, which is really not all that long ago. My bet is the person thinks they are fine as they have paid for it and it should not be a bother picking it up a week or so later, especially with Christmas/New Year upon us.

I'm sure that is how a lot of people think, although by rights they should reply to you. They should not be taking it for granted, that is plain rude. I would write to them again, but at the 3 week mark, which is early in the new year. Lay it politely on the line, so they know exactly how things stand.

If they are away and miss the email, miss the whole thing till after you have resold, just say pick up is usually expected within a week- fortnight, unless there is some communication to arrange otherwise.

In future ads, I guess put a note that pick up is to be arranged within one week. That way you cover yourself to some extent.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

There is no buyer protection for a pick up item with Paypal so unless they funded the payment with a card they are completely at your mercy. As soon as they mentioned a courier you should have said no way or else have given them a definite date for them to pick up and tell them packaging is not included and the courier will need to do it.

I would send them an email with a deadline for pick up and tell them if it is not collected by then you will have no choice but to resell the item and will refund them however much you get for it up to their winning bid less your fees.

If they funded with a credit card there is a slight chance they will try a chargeback but personally I would risk it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

The trouble with the courier idea is that the courier will not wrap or crate etc, so the item may get damaged.
That leads to problems.
May be better to wait the feedback time out (60 days) before re listing if you can,so there is no chance of feedback.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply