Buyer questions/seller answers displayed for other potential buyers to read Questions to answer NOT!

keyand
Community Member

A potential buyer asked a question about an item (car) I have up for auction. I answered and selected 'post question/response for others to see' or whatever it says. I then went into the listing to check it.  When it wasn't there below the description, I thought 'maybe there's a delay on ebay posting them up these days.'  Several days have passed and it never appeared.  The same bidder then asked further questions but with each of these I wasn't even given the option to post them.  I wondered if perhaps it was just me, the seller, who couldn't see them so got someone else to check it - not there.  I have always found this a very useful feature and am baffled by this!  In addition, the item heading blares UNANSWERED QUESTION at me and the top of the page says " You have 2 questions to answer | answer question" but when I click on it there are no new messages there.  I have answered each of the questions asked (also sending a copy to my email address).  In frustration I triple-checked each message one by one, deleting them as I went.  No joy!!  Still telling me I have questions to answer.  Why, when it used to work fine, is it now so difficult?  The thing that worries me is that maybe there are some questions lurking somewhere (not in my emails though) but they're now in some obscure location.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Buyer questions/seller answers displayed for other potential buyers to read Questions to answer NOT!

eBay has been fiddling with Q&A functionaility a bit recently, and may be working on disabling / replacing older, similar features with the new version, so that could explain the limited functionality of the one you're referring to (my best guess, anyway).

Many listings (though, not yours I can see), now have a Q&A section at the bottom where anyone can post a question that's immediately listed publicly, and email notifications of the question are sent out to various sellers of the item, as well as previous buyers, who are invited to answer. It's obviously designed for product questions where the answers will be applicable no matter the seller, so while functionality of the orginal Q&A might be limited, they may also not use the newer version in all categories, or for auctions / pre-owned items.

With the unanswered question pester, if you go to My eBay > Selling, the listing may show with a red banner that says "Unanswered Question". If it does, in the dropdown menu on the right, you should be able to select "mark as answered". 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Thanks digital*ghost.  This new Q&A stuff sounds just awful from what I have read.  You are probably right that I have just been caught in the limited functionality crossfire.  As far as the unanswered question problem - yes, of course!  Thank you, I no longer feel like I'm being yelled at.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply