Buyer request for transaction cancellation

I recently had a request from the buyer to cancel a transaction as they claim they bid on / purchased the sales item 'in error'. I have reluctantly agreed to do this and found that in order to do this I had to submit to THEM a request to cancel the transaction, even though it was they who wanted the cancellation. When I read ebay's advice on this it said:

"If you sold an item, but you no longer want to complete the sale, it's best to contact your buyer and explain what's going on. The buyer might release you from your commitment to sell the item."

This does not describe the situation I find myself in with this transaction at all. It makes it seem like I'm the one wanting to renege or pull out of the contract of sale with the buyer when infact that's not the case at all. Its the buyer who is not wishing to honour the contract of sale. I think this is wrong. It should be possible for the buyer to submit a cancellation request if they are the ones initiating the situation. For all I know, somewhere buried deep in ebay records, this could result in a mark against me for apparently not honouring a sales contract - that's certainly the way it would look from the process I am forced to follow. There is nothing in the process to show that it was the buyer who wanted to pull out of the agreement to buy!!!!! This is not a fair process.

Next messagePrevious message| 
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Yes it does show the reasons for the cancellation so you should tick the one that best describes the reason why.I have had to do plenty of these cancellations and it's best to just go ahead with the cancellation and then just move on

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I do not ever send a mutual cancellation request because a buyer has changed their mind, I open an unpaid item dispute and they either have to pay up within 4 days or they get a strike and they cannot leave any feedback.

It is letting other sellers down when you do not go through the unpaid item dispute as most of us have members with more than one strike blocked, your buyer could have done this a dozen times and if all the sellers sent mutual cancellations there would be nothing to stop them doing it again.

It is funny how they only realise they bid in error AFTER the item finishes as they could have withdrawn their bid at any time up until the last 12 hours and then they could still have emailed you and asked you to cancel at any time up until the end.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Yeah I would ideally prefer to open an unpaid item case but if they DO end up paying in response to the dispute, they then do have the option of leaving retaliatory neg feedback which I guarantee ebay won't see good reason to remove. I did not want to run the risk of negative feedback so I chose to send a Cancellation request.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

To which they can still leave feedback, even if they agree. Whereas if they don't pay, they can't leave any feedback.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

No they can't leave feedback (according to ebay) if they agree to the cancellation.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

What if they don't agree?

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I didn't enquire into the situation if they don't agree, since they were the ones that requested the cancellation in the first place.

They have no reason for not agreeing to it, unless they just can't be bothered. I did message them to say that I could not be credited with my final value fee until they did formally indicate their agreement.

If after the 7 days they are given to agree to the cancellation, they still haven't done so, then I will open an unpaid item dispute, since I won't have any other options by that point.

I'm optimistic (quite unrealistically in all likelihood !!) that given the history of the situation, they wouldn't dare leave neg feedback, but if they did, there is more of a case that I could put to ebay to remove it

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
They can still leave feedback after accepting or declining a cancelation request. Only time they can't leave feedback is if you close UID
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

If they don't respond in 7 days, you will automatically get your FVF refunded.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply