Buyer wants a refund for imei blocked phone that was clearly mentioned in the description.

Hi, I've already tried to work with the buyer. They have chosen to disregard my description and my intentions of selling this iphone. 

The buyer bought the phone as imei blocked which it states in the description and item specifics. I sold the phone as working with the exception that calls and messages can only be done over wi-fi which is as described (the block restricts cellular operation with a sim card). I asked if the buyer had read the description carefully before I shipped the item.

Once they received the item, the buyer argued the phone is blocked but later acknowledged that I had actually clearly stated this. They attempted to remove the block so they could have a fully functional phone, which was not expected of them unless they knew how to. 

Because they couldn’t remove the block, they have now changed their mind and have now chosen to assume I'm responsible for the phone being blocked and marked as potentially stolen. They want police to come investigate me.

If a phone is imei blocked, it is always either marked as lost or stolen and has this history hence the block. So I don't know what they expected. The buyer was asked to know what an imei block was before purchasing which they claim to have experience with.

Regardless, they argue the item is not as described which it is and want a refund because the phone is reported as stolen. The thing is, I purchased this phone from the original owner who had the phone returned to them and could not remove the block because of how strict it is. 

This also really bothers me because I know ebay likes to take sides with the buyer. The buyer has already filed for a refund which doesn't give me the option to reject unless I ask ebay to step in. 

Just another thought...
The buyer hates me and when I check the imei they have their own icloud account active on it. If i'm forced to have this phone returned to me what if they still leave the phone icloud active and refuse to remove it. 
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Buyer wants a refund for imei blocked phone that was clearly mentioned in the description.

DO NOT ask ebay to step in. RING them, or request a call back and tell them to read the messages between you and the buyer. Tell them to look at the listing which clearly shows the block has been mentioned. This is a change of mind return. If you don't accept returns, you don't have to accept it. If the buyer wants a refund, they can pay the postage for the return. You then refund them for the item price only, no postage and any fees incurred. That's only if you are happy to accept the return.

DO NOT ask ebay to step in, even on the phone. The instant you do they will close in the buyers favour and refund without them having to return it.

Edit to answer your edit: if they have done anything to the phone then try and return it, they can't. A return item must be returned exactly how it was received. Show that message to ebay too.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

While your listing was very clear I think you were asking for trouble listing in that way. I would have listed it as for spares or repair and at a much lower price.  All you can do now is either accept the return or fight it out through ebay, not much else you can do. 

If the owner got it back from the police then they could have had the block removed unless they claimed on an insurance policy or their carrier supplied a new phone at no cost in which case the phone is owned by the insurance company or the carrier and is indeed technically stolen.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@domziiee2 wrote:
Hi, I've already tried to work with the buyer. They have chosen to disregard my description and my intentions of selling this iphone. 

The buyer bought the phone as imei blocked which it states in the description and item specifics. I sold the phone as working with the exception that calls and messages can only be done over wi-fi which is as described (the block restricts cellular operation with a sim card). I asked if the buyer had read the description carefully before I shipped the item.

Once they received the item, the buyer argued the phone is blocked but later acknowledged that I had actually clearly stated this. They attempted to remove the block so they could have a fully functional phone, which was not expected of them unless they knew how to. 

Because they couldn’t remove the block, they have now changed their mind and have now chosen to assume I'm responsible for the phone being blocked and marked as potentially stolen. They want police to come investigate me.

If a phone is imei blocked, it is always either marked as lost or stolen and has this history hence the block. So I don't know what they expected. The buyer was asked to know what an imei block was before purchasing which they claim to have experience with.

Regardless, they argue the item is not as described which it is and want a refund because the phone is reported as stolen. The thing is, I purchased this phone from the original owner who had the phone returned to them and could not remove the block because of how strict it is. 

This also really bothers me because I know ebay likes to take sides with the buyer. The buyer has already filed for a refund which doesn't give me the option to reject unless I ask ebay to step in. 

Just another thought...
The buyer hates me and when I check the imei they have their own icloud account active on it. If i'm forced to have this phone returned to me what if they still leave the phone icloud active and refuse to remove it. 

That's pretty strange, I had to have a stolen phone blocked a while ago and I was given an unblock code at the time in case the phone turned up.

Blocks are removable but only by the original compainant.

Matbe he lost his unblock code?

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Matbe he lost his unblock code?

Maybe the whole thing sounds a bit suspicious. As I said the only reason the original seller would not be able to unlock the phone is if it was rightly the property of an insurance company or the service provider.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply