Buyers after huge bargins are the most difficult to deal with

My seller ID has 5600 feedbacks. sold 10000+ items within a year.

I am quiting the categories I have been in for 1 year as there is no more profit at all.

so I put most of my remaining stock on clearance. but something unexpected hit me hard.

I have been receiving more negative feedback than before when the items were twice as expenisve..

now the items attract  buyers who think they pay $5-10 item with free postage and they are the boss. being rude and leave negative without any respect. they don't understand after postage and ebay fees I made loss on everyitem sold. 

I realise i am probably better off just dump the stock into the bin rather than wasting time begging to have the negative revised. they don't really care because 5-10$ loss is mimimal to them but a negative is huge impact to the seller.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I've always said that the later and more urgent someone seems, the less likely they are to actually spend money.

I believe it's same for cheapo skin flints.

The cheaper the item, the less respect someone has for it (and you).

Sad but true.   Man Sad

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

It seems everyone wants something for nothing and I feel for you alex.lj234. It probably is best to dump the stock, less headaches and hassles.
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

maybe this is why ebay have been handing out 100 free listings to people, because they scared the good sellers away & need to lure them back!! it seems to be more designed all for the buyers, free postage, no negs allowed so they can not pay or pay whenever they please & get away with it etc. 

Sorry op thats not very helpful to you, all i can suggest is making sure you have the 'buyer requirements' set up to block buyers who have had non paying marks against them. And imho offering the free postage isn't worth it, maybe you would be better off listing in bulk lots pickup only?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I have always found that the best way to get rid of stock that is sticking is to raise the price, not lower it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Mabe just donate them to one of the Charities, then at least someone will appreciate. Just a thought. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I wish I knew what you were selling, I'd have a look, if the prices are real bargains as you say!! Smiley Happy

You might do okay looking at other selling websites or even going to some markets.

Years ago, my sister & I did that for a couple of weeks to get rid of some things we never sold via ebay and it was a revelation.

Some things that never sold on ebay were popular at the market and it was just lovely to make a sale and know that was the end of the matter, they had had a look, we didn't have to worry about feedback or postage.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Yes, my most difficult customers have consistently been those who have got something at a bargain price, or via best offer. 

Yet, with the Star rating system having such a high impact on your selling ability sellers are always trying to get 5 star ratings so offer cheaper items in a hope to boost their stars.  Ebay is very cruel encouraging buyers to rate sellers anonymously yet failing to explain that sellers can be limited through low stars alone (never mind FB score/negatives). 

I agree with Barney.  Ebay is losing their long term good sellers through this system, and the free listings are their struggling attempt to get more sellers to replace them.  So Stupid.  They should be looking after their sellers not treating them like school children - the star system should be a guide to buyers not a hidden demotion system. 

I think the only way to get it changed is - a) complain on these boards - I don't believe they go unmonitored, just ebay doesn't bother to reply to anything.  Monitoring them would be valuable to ebay, as it would any business.  b) complain directly to ebay.  If every seller did that ebay would soon be backtracking.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply