Buyers sending offers

Thoughts on potential buyers sending through offers via a message, when you don't have Best Offer option in your listing. Do you reply politely or ignore?

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Buyers sending offers

It's a foreign word these days.. thank you also isn't used as much as it should be!!
If the requests are rude I just block.. can't be bothered wasting my time!
Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

Buyers sending offers

Back when I used to get offers there was never once a please/ can you/ would it be possible

Every 'offer' was telling me what the person was going to pay me  and when they would pick it up (for pick up only stuff)

And on stuff that was going to be mailed, an offer far less than what I was asking and wanting free postage on top

Ain't happpening 

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

Buyers sending offers

I had a book listed and from memory, I had about $10 on it plus postage (3kg bag). I received an odder of $7.50 and would I like to make it free post?? No please, no thank you. And of course i would pay the postage... Not!!!
Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

Buyers sending offers

Exactly what I was thinking!

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

Buyers sending offers

Oh I know. 

I advertised something on another popular Australian selling site. I always quote "No Holds" No Offers" for obvious reasons. On the weekend I got a text from the lovely Caroline saying that she had read "No Offers" but didn't feel like driving all the way to IKEA to pick up the item new so she would like to offer me $100 on the item I had advertised for $150. I was so tempted to send back the rude finger emoji but didn't even waste my time doing that!

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

Buyers sending offers

Here's some entertaining reading, I can't post it because it contains colourful language. The seller's last reply is golden.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChoosingBeggars/comments/aiqmh0/financial_aid_for_a_kitchenaid/

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

Buyers sending offers

coffeescreenlaugh.gif

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

Buyers sending offers

Ah yes

May the bluebird of happines carp on their birthday cake 

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

Buyers sending offers

We probably have a different perspective to what other sellers are saying on here about offers.

Many of our listings are already MO but when we get offers on listing that aren't set up that way we try not to explode!

Might have a bit of a splutter or laugh out loud moment but then get down to business.

We are here to sell!!! That's our Mantra.

So after taking a deeeeep breath we always reply politely "Thanks for the offer, would be prepared to sell for $......., Sorry can't do for any less, but thanks for your interest....." or words to that effect. Then it's over to them.

The way we see it is-

1 They are looking at our shop,

2 They obviously like the item

3 Probably testing the waters to see what our "real"price (or what we would accept) might be.

So why ignore? 

But our rules are: Do Not Negotiate again, That's it! So if they try again, just resend the original reply.

We have many scenarios where we might accept a lower price than shown.

Sometimes it's the profit margin, sometimes the age of the item, sometimes how long it's been listed, or how strange or unique or different it might be, or how sales are going for the month.

They don't know any of that information, so we just give them the first and best price and don't think about it anymore.

Many, many times we do sell the piece, so have learnt to never send back a smart ass reply.

Understand that this wouldn't appeal to all sellers so this is just food for thought.

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply