Call from EBay inviting me to promote listings

joz15au
Community Member

I had a missed call this morning, searched the number and it came up as an eBay number.  I then checked my emails and eBay messages and there was a follow up message sent one minute after the call, inviting me to promote 5 of my listings (on my store account), ie 5 listings out of 842, all low priced items.  I really hope eBay is not going to start making a habit of this and harassing sellers with phone calls.  I have considered promoted listings before and decided it is not for me.  Most of my listings are stamps and postcards which are not high in value and not hugely profitable, it just helps pay for my own collecting habits. This is the first time I have received such a call, just wondered if other sellers have also been receiving them?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes I've been called ebay many times. Sometimes about using promoted listings and other times about making my items eligible for ebay plus. I've told them I'm not really interested in either but they keep calling. Hopefully they'll exhaust that method soon.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

No. I get the emails which I usually am not interested in any promotions.
You now have me curious...I have been getting phone calls, which I ignore thinking they are telemarketers.
Now to go and check the phone number.
Thanks for letting us know what is happening!
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I use this reverse number search to check unknown numbers:

http://www.reverseaustralia.com

Doesn't always yield results, but can be useful

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I use that site also but it only works with landline numbers wish it would bring up scammers mobile numbers 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I've had it work for mobile numbers. Not often, but if they are company owned mobiles, rather than personal, they sometimes show up. Case in point, I had a mobile number hounding me to death, trying to sell me insurance. I never answered it, because I don't answer numbers I don't know, but plenty of people had posted about that number trying to sell them insurance.

Others have also popped up where someone answers and they hang up. When they call them it back, it's some scam thing that goes straight to voice mail.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I got a one-ring missed call from Saudi Arabia today. I suspect they realised it was a wrong number.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Yes I've been called ebay many times. Sometimes about using promoted listings and other times about making my items eligible for ebay plus. I've told them I'm not really interested in either but they keep calling. Hopefully they'll exhaust that method soon.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

They probably thought you were Scummo.

A deadset insult, if so.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply