Cancelling an Order and Refunding

I just had a buyer messaging me saying the person they were buying the items for no longer has any interest in them, so would like to cancel the order as I hadn't posted yet. No problems. I went into PayPal and sent a refund, then went back to my selling page to send a cancellation request. I selected the buyer changed mind option and then a box popped up saying that by clicking "send refund" I authorise eBay to instruct PayPal to issue a refund.

As I have already manually done the refund, if I select that option, will they send a refund again? The buyer has agreed to accept the cancellation and it means getting back nearly $10 in fees, so I'd really like the request to go through. It's been a LOOONG time since I have cancelled a transaction and it's all changed. I don't want them to get refunded twice!

Help please!

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I ended up hitting the button and the buyer accepted it within 5 minutes. I got an email saying that the buyer had already been refunded so all was good. I just now checked my PayPal account and there was no double up on the refund. The buyer did say that if it was sent through again he would send it back.

Now I just have to sit back and wait to see whether I get defected or not. When the buyer sent the message he used the "returns" option, even though he had previously been in correspondence with me. I don't know if that option triggers a defect or not. I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

oh Oh ..... I think you should have cancelled the order through ebay first.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

sundrops2500 wrote:

If you un-mark it as payment received then it will allow you resolve an issue, so you can cancel the transaction.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I ended up hitting the button and the buyer accepted it within 5 minutes. I got an email saying that the buyer had already been refunded so all was good. I just now checked my PayPal account and there was no double up on the refund. The buyer did say that if it was sent through again he would send it back.

Now I just have to sit back and wait to see whether I get defected or not. When the buyer sent the message he used the "returns" option, even though he had previously been in correspondence with me. I don't know if that option triggers a defect or not. I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply