Caravan going for a song..??

Someone has listed a Jayco 2007 caravan on my local buy, swap, sell.  I contacted the person as it is so cheap - really too cheap.  She emailed with a story, which may be genuine, saying husband tragically killed. She left for Alice Springs with new travel job.  She said I would have to give name and address and eBay will arrange delivery with 5 days to view and decide.  Has anyone heard of EBay doing these kind of deals/services?

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Buy, sell, swap is a Facebook thing. Nothing to do with eBay.

Scam!

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

scam
Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@chasebroda wrote:

Someone has listed a Jayco 2007 caravan on my local buy, swap, sell.  I contacted the person as it is so cheap - really too cheap.  She emailed with a story, which may be genuine, saying husband tragically killed. She left for Alice Springs with new travel job.  She said I would have to give name and address and eBay will arrange delivery with 5 days to view and decide.  Has anyone heard of EBay doing these kind of deals/services?

eBay are only a site to buy and sell they have nothing to do with the delivery of any item anywhere.

That scam has been going for a long time and it keeps getting used because there are still gullible people

that get caught out.

As you''ve said cheap,too cheap and that always means scam.Angry head bang.gif

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

SCAM - came across similar thing. Was looking for a car (not on ebay) for my elderly father. found a 2015 Mazda CX3 for $8000 - too good to be true. Contacted seller who said he was advertising it for his sister as her house had burnt down in the bushfires and she needed money urgently. The car was supposedly at the ebay warehouse in a Melbourne suburb and if I gave them my details they would deliver the car to my address upon payment. Even received a nice email from Alex P the ebay Financial department manager. LOL  Have reported to spoof@ebay.com.au  Beware there is a lot of scumbags operating out there

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

These scammers must have heard how gullible some ebay buyers are and hope that one might bite.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

What is really interesting about the OP, is how stupid and gullible people still are, and when you see the stories on TV and online about people being fleeced out of their life savings I just laugh now.... a sucker is born every minute.

Enjoy your 'trip'.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

@chasebroda wrote:

I read quite a while back that something like 30% or so of all car ads are scams at the moment. That isn't just on ebay. That's on carsales, newspaper ads etc

The give away is the car is always 'interstate' when you enquire, or somehow not available to view, but can be delivered after payment.

The scammers just use photos from real ads but have nothing to sell.

I imagine that is true of caravans too.

So don't just be sceptical about this ad, be very careful across the board. Don't buy unless you can see the actual goods and paperwork.

The other giveaway this is a scam is the fact they said ebay will arrange delivery.

Plenty of people advertise in more than one place. So someone could put an ad on Facebook plus an ad in ebay. But in that case they would just write 'advertised elesewhere' and you would be able to see the ad on ebay too. How on earth could an item be 'delivered by ebay' if not even sold by ebay? Ebay doesn't deliver in any case. Australia Post does, or couriers do. Or people pick up items. Ebay is just a website where people advertise.

You sound as if you sort of know this is probably a scam but you're also sort of hoping this 'may be genuine'. Resist temptation.Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

Carsales.com.au shows 199,222 cars for sale in Australia today - I think the 30% needs a FACTCHECK.

60,000 fraudulent car sales on that website and the Federal Police would be arresting every single staff member.

I could believe 3% though, but even that still seems a lot.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

I'm going to bet that despite the replies here, the OP will go ahead and send money, then wait for the item to be delivered from the eBay warehouse.........

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply