Cash on pick-up; PayPal for pick-up; Inspect pick-up items; PayPal protection for pickup items

In lieu of replying to an old thread which has recently been bumped (and which contains old outdated information that's no longer correct), starting a new thread with current information seemed like a good idea.

eBay's help page for Buying with local pickup states:

Spoiler
If your seller's item is listed as 'Pickup only', you'll receive information on the item's location at checkout. If you need to know more before purchasing, select Ask a question in the listing.

VERY IMPORTANT: both buyers and sellers must avoid any suggestion of exchanging/offering/asking for phone number, address, email address, or any other contact information before a sale is actually made on eBay. This is to comply with the current Member-to-member policy, in which it's stated:

Spoiler
We [...] don't allow members to offer, reference or request email addresses, phone numbers or other contact information, physical addresses, web addresses or links within eBay messaging systems (Best Offer, eBay Messages etc.). eBay may monitor messages sent through eBay and between users for [...] violations of eBay's policies.

The consequences of violating this policy are serious, and can get both the buyer and the seller into real trouble with eBay.

It is clear that buyers cannot inspect items before bidding or buying now on eBay. Contact information can only be asked for and given after the item is "sold" through eBay.

In the Buying with local pickup page, eBay say "After making your purchase, contact the seller to arrange a time and place to collect your item, and agree how you'll pay for it." The most sensible method of payment for pick-up items is cash on pick-up, as this allows the buyer to inspect the item to assure him/herself that it's undamaged, as described and as wanted, before handing over any payment. (Seller should give the buyer a receipt and mark the item as paid in their ebay account as soon as the payment is made. Buyer should ask for receipt if one isn't forthcoming.)

If a buyer pays by PayPal or by credit card, and collects the item in person, it's "covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee." However, if the buyer doesn't want to go through with the sale, it's going to take the usual amount of time to receive a refund. Also, the cover for pick-up items is very limited. There is NO COVER under any of these circumstances:

• if the buyer simply changes his mind on seeing the item (known as buyer's remorse),
  • if the item is damaged during pick-up,
  • if the buyer sends someone else to pick up the item on their behalf, or
  • if the buyer arranges freight for a pick-up item.

Only if the pick-up item is significantly not as described and the buyer picks up the item in person will the buyer be entitled to a refund for a pick-up item under eBay's MBG.

That means that logically speaking, there is no advantage to using PayPal for pick-up items. If the item isn't as described, the buyer would simply tell the seller, "I don't think this is as described, so I have decided not to go ahead with the purchase and pay. Can you send me a cancellation notice now, and I'll agree immediately so that you can get back your final value fees straight away?" That leaves both the buyer and the seller whole. No need to open a claim, no need to wait for a refund.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Cash on pick-up; PayPal for pick-up; Inspect pick-up items; PayPal protection for pickup items

To add - 

If the item ceases to function after a month or two, the buyer can then open a PayPal case for INAD as many sellers do not honour promised warranties.

I feel this is the main reason PayPal introduced cover on pick up items but does not cover INR as expected seeing the item was picked up.

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

There have been instances of buyers complaining about not being able to open SNAD cases (under the old rules) because they got somebody else to pick the item up.

They would now seem to be eligible for the MBG if using Paypal.

Food for thought.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Should they be, under the wording of the MBG?

Not covered

• Local pickup items that weren't collected by the buyer

(Of course, that may not mean much, if an angry/annoyed buyer is persistent and chances upon a relatively uninformed eBay customer service rep...)

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Kopenhagen, that's a point worth considering. I wonder whether an item that stopped working would be covered, though, since one of the requirements of the Money Back Guarante is that "The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received."

Since the buyer picked up the item, it might be assumed that it was as described. Therefore the fact that the item stops functioning after a month or two would mean that the buyer can't return it in the same condition. (Or am I reading too much into the scenario?)

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

PayPal covers items in their received condition, they actually state buyer protection can't be used in place of a warranty on the goods.
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Have you read anything or heard anything about eBay having a different view with their MBG, digital*ghost?

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

only that an eBay MBG claim has to be opened within 32 days of the last expected deliver date.  This would stop claims being made 'months' later for items that have stopped working.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Lets not forget there are 2 forms of protection that can be used. (cases)

1. eBay's MBG case 

2. PayPal case

With a direct PayPal case the time limit for opening a case is 6 months, requiring it to be closed within 20 days of being opened.

As I read the terms, a buyer now has protection for pick up items for not as described. 

It is not to be used in place of a warranty however if a seller is no longer registered or responding, a warranty is not being offered and can be considered not as described in the original purchase.

I have known many scenarios of PayPal refunding in this case as a product may have been embellished to work on initial inspection and pick up but fails after several months.

The PayPal terms mean it is still up to PayPal to decide which case will have protection or not.

So pay on pick up rather than using PayPal will always be the safer method after a thorough inspection.

But good to know there may be protection should a seller insist on PayPal for a pick up item and unforeseen faults appear with an item.

image host
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

It is not to be used in place of a warranty however if a seller is no longer registered or responding, a warranty is not being offered and can be considered not as described in the original purchase.

I have known many scenarios of PayPal refunding in this case as a product may have been embellished to work on initial inspection and pick up but fails after several months.

There's also many cases where a seller didn't offer a warranty at all, and yet PayPal still refund the buyer after them having it for a few months - it's not because a seller not honouring a warranty is considered INAD, it's because PayPal have the same bias eBay do, it's just not quite as difficult to overcome as it is eBay's. 

@countess, I'm not sure if eBay specifically state the MBG is not a warranty, though the time limit as sir sales pointed out, coupled with the term you've quoted about returning in the received condition, often works to that end (more specifically if the buyer has altered the item in some way, though, even if the alteration is a repair). 

One of the biggest issues with buyer protection via PayPal, is that valid proof of return needs to be provided and there's no item not received protection. That means if you pay with PayPal, get there and it's obviously not as described, if the seller won't refund you on the spot, you have to accept the goods anyway, remove them, and then return them via a means that proves you returned them. Not the best situation to be in if the item is a large piece of furniture or appliance.

I'm not sure how eBay deals with returns on pick up items if the purchase is eligible, but I would expect something similar is needed. 

The only pick up items I ever pay for with PP is purchases from national big box retailers, TBH. They have consumer guarantees to uphold, and aren't likely to disappear within the warranty period. I'd pay cash in all other cases. 

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply