Change of Mind Returns

When setting up return conditions on a listing, how do you distinguish between change of mind returns from other returns.  I only see the option "returns accepted" wirth a yes/no option.  How do you accept other returns but not change of mind returns?  And if you select "yes", how can you set "seller pays" postage on not as described but "buyer pays" postage for change of mind returns?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Change of Mind Returns

Hi there,

You can specifiy additional return information and say e.g "Does not fit or change of mind returns are not covered under our return policy"

As it says on eBay's website

"On eBay, sellers set a return policy for items they want to sell. Sellers may allow you to return goods if you make an incorrect choice or change your mind, although they're not required to do so by law. It's important to examine the seller's return policy carefully before you bid on or buy the item."

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Change of Mind Returns

Selecting between returns accepted and returns not accepted is actually the distinction (I know it's counter intuitive, and realistically any business that just has "No Returns" signs up could find themselves in trouble with the ACCC because it doesn't make clear up front that buyers have a right to return items if they're faulty, despite there being fine print to say so in the P&P tab, so it's yet another one of eBay's foibles).

eBay's policy is that if you accept returns, you must accept them for any reason, subject to any additional conditions that you place in the more info box - but that means you can't have "Returns accepted" then put "but not for change of mind" or "but only for items that are faulty or not as described" in the additional info section, only things like the items must be unused, still sealed etc. 

If you have No Returns, buyers can still send through a request to return an item for change of mind, but you get an option to decline it. If you have Returns Accepted, as far as I know you are not given the option to decline it (I've only had a couple come through, for change of mind, I do accept returns and was not able to decline them). 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Change of Mind Returns

You might as well tick no returns as your option.

If you tick returns accepted, that is going to mean all returns, & that isn't what you want.

If there is a fault with a product, you are going to have to accept a return & pay return postage anyway.

But if someone wants a change of mind return, if you have said no returns, you then have the option to accept or decline, but can request the person pays return postage.

It's a bit of a pain you can't automatically specify all that on ebay but in your spiel, you could put a sentence to the effect that if there is any problem at all with an item to let you know and you will do your best to resolve it.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Change of Mind Returns

If you tick returns accepted, that is going to mean all returns, & that isn't what you want.

I see that very differently, if a buyer changes their mind and you do not accept returns for that reason then they are much more likely to say there is something wrong with it so you have to pay postage both ways or let them keep it and refund.

I have had a few buyers who have been happy to pay for return postage to get a refund of only the item price, I have had very few return requests for faulty goods.

A refund of item price only costs me nothing but a bit of time and with the level of sales being what they are that is something I have plenty of.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Change of Mind Returns

I understand what you are saying & it has a lot of merit, but my understand was that jfmgray specifically did not want to accept change of mind returns.

How do you accept other returns but not change of mind returns?

which is basically why I answered as I did. I can see how my sentence can be taken two ways ie as in advice-you don't want to do that. But the way i meant it was I thought that wasn't what jfmgray wanted.

The whole scenario of returns and potential problems with not as described dramas is partially what has turned my sister & me off ebay selling, to tell the truth.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply