Chargeback: Suspicious Buyer

This morning we received a PayPal notification of a chargeback dating back to 8th August. The buyer is claiming unauthorised use of the card.

The amount is for $8.00. Not too bad I guess.

She left positive FB for us at the time suggesting she received the item. "Thank U send well"

We looked at the buyers feedback and see that she has bought lots of similar items from other sellers since this date as well.

So we contacted one of the major sellers about this and they answered straight away that they too have received the same notification about the same buyer overnight. Theirs was for about $140. They are not happy.

Most of our items are small so we use standard mail as was the case in this instance. So I understand because of that we will get no seller protection.

There are about 12 other sellers on her FB list as well, so I wondered how many others might have received these same notices.

We have sent a message to the buyer about this asking for her to confirm what is going on. So far no response but I don't hold out much hope there.

This one sounds a bit fishy to me. This is the first one of these we have had.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Have just heard from the other seller that the PayPal chargeback fee is $22.00 per instance/transaction.

And you lose this regardless if you win or lose the case.

In her case she has 5x instances of chargeback from the same buyer.

Fee = $110 and this is on top of her $230 loss.

Anyone know if/not this is true?

Message 21 of 31
Latest reply

Clarry, the fee is imposed by the bank, not paypal.

The last time I did a chargeback (a few months ago, so the fee may have changed) the bank told me that there was a $15 fee.  If I won the chargeback paypal would pay the fee (but they of course would pass it on to the seller anyway).

If the seller won and I did not get the money back I would have to pay the fee.

From experience, paypal does not put up much of a fight on a seller's behalf, so it has become accepted that the seller has to foot the bank fee for a chargeback.

Message 22 of 31
Latest reply

*** UPDATE ***

We received a response from the buyer this morning. It reads (expletives deleted).

"All the money will be geting paid back so sorry for the big **** up"

We are not sure just what to make of it yet, but maybe the case is being resolved by her in the seller's favour.

We will wait and see.
Message 23 of 31
Latest reply

This happened last year (or early this year) - prolific buyer did a chargeback months down the line. A very diligent seller found a heap of sellers affected. I think the police were brought into it, and suddenly the buyer was all confused as to what and why (even though it was claimed as 'unauthorised use') and was promising repayments to everybody. Can't remember who was supposed to wear the chargeback fees, or whether everybody was repaid.

Maybe something to keep in mind, clarry.

Message 24 of 31
Latest reply

*** UPDATE #2 ***

We received another message from the buyer this afternoon saying that she wanted our bank account details so she could deposit our lost money directly into our account..

She also said she has made some kind of deal with paypal to pay back all the money so that sellers get their money back.

So I have passed her our bank details. Will see what happens now.

Sounds like she is accepting responsibility for whatever happened.

I have submitted any evidence I have back to PayPal against the case. Also sent them a copy of this latest email as well.

Message 25 of 31
Latest reply

Sounds to me like she tried it on with her bank, got caught out (they're certainly not stupid) and has undertaken to repay the money she stole in order to avoid prosecution. Just an educated guess, that's all. 😉
Message 26 of 31
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Chargeback suspicious Buyer :  I have been a seller on ebay since 2005 ( Booter Boot Liners ) This is our first chargeback experience however i don't believe it is going to be our last !!!!!

1. A buyer bought an item from our store on the 7th of July and paid for this item using paypal

2. On the 15th of October (just over 3 months later ) we recieved a message through our paypal account advising us that a buyer has opened a paypal chargeback claim.

3. The buyer has stated that he did not authorise the payment ?

Ok then who did .....?

1. We recieved an ebay order from the buyer on the 7th of July

2. We sent the buyer an email on the 7th of July asking him to allow us to send the item via TNT transport to a commerical address or have permission to leave it at his resident.

3. On the 9th of July the buyer responded to our email and stated : " I give the ok to leave it under the car port thank you"

4. The item was delivered on the 10th of July. We have a POD, proof of delivery that the item was delivered to the buyers address.

5. The buyer was also kind enough to leave us feedback " Very quick delivery. Great service and product. Couldn't find a fault"

We haven't heard a word from the buyer. We tried to call his mobile number " switched off " not surprising !!

If this was legitimate the buyer would call us and say something like this :

* hey guys the address that you delivered the item to wasn't mine 

* the phone number i provided you isn't mine either.

* I never reponded to your email ? someone has taking over my account !

* i have contacted ebay and changed my account details 

From everything that i have been reading the buyer has contacted his credit card company and claimed he never authorised the payment. The buyers credit card institution made a claim against paypal who now has debited our account of $240.00 until the case has been resolved. 

Guess what i already know the answer: Despite all the evidence that the buyer is a fraud i will lose my money because it is much easier for paypal not to take up the fight for me and bend over to the demands of the buyers banking instituion and allow this  bleep to steal my money.

I will keep you posted !

Message 27 of 31
Latest reply

old thread, should have started a new one

Message 28 of 31
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

From everything that i have been reading the buyer has contacted his credit card company and claimed he never authorised the payment. The buyers credit card institution made a claim against paypal who now has debited our account of $240.00 until the case has been resolved. 

Guess what i already know the answer: Despite all the evidence that the buyer is a fraud i will lose my money because it is much easier for paypal not to take up the fight for me and bend over to the demands of the buyers banking instituion and allow this  bleep to steal my money.

I will keep you posted !

The person who owns the eBay account and made the purchase is not necessarily the person who owns the credit card - you will likely never know for sure (an easier way to see this is say you logged into your eBay account, made a purchase, had it sent to your address, but used a credit card you found on the street to pay - the CC details are not shared, so the seller never knows the cardholder's name).

If you have kept your proof of postage / delivery, you need to upload it to PayPal as you could be eligible for seller protection and not have to lose the funds.

Message 29 of 31
Latest reply

scammer, 100%
There is no need to give benefit of doubt.

So someone hacks her ebay account, changes address, buy the items, then hacks her paypal account, changes the address, receives the items, leaves feedbacks, all without her knowing, no email notification whatsoever? she then found out about all these and file charge backs? Come on!

Get the sellers together, hire a debt collector in her area and knock on the door. Don't waste your time chasing wide gooses.

Message 30 of 31
Latest reply