Cost of Aust Post satchel help

Could a seller please tell me how much it costs to buy one large satchel over the counter?   I have looked up the Aust Post site and it says a large satchel costs $15.95 postage plus packaging cost, but I can't see what the packaging cost is.

I have received an email from my seller advising that the actual postage cost him $19.95;   but the parcel arrived today in a large satchel with an Aust Post sticker of $15.95.    Parcel post, not registered.

I paid him $18.95 up front and he says no handling fee.    I am not going to quibble with him about a few dollars but would just like to know for my own satisfaction.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

not sure you will get too many sellers helping you here to find ammunition to go after another seller over postage cost.

Sellers have other postage associated costs you know, over and above satchel price.

Did you know sellers are charged fees on the postage cost? That fee runs to about 13.4% of postage price.

So when you see stamp/sticker for $16 the seller has encountered a cost of at least $18.15 (not including packing materials and satchel price).

To me, a $19 postage charge on $16 stamp/sticker value is not unreasonable.  AND, the time to query postage cost is prior to buying . . . NOT after seeing stamp/sticker value.

Does this explanation satisfy you? I am sure that sellers who read this thread will be interested in your answer.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I just saw that you are a seller.

Surely you know your way around a post office!

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Boy, you sound cross!    If  you read my post you will see that I said I had no intention of "going after another seller", as you put it.     I just wanted to know how much to buy the large satchel at a PO.

And no, I haven't been inside a PO for 2 years now.     And yes I am a small seller, and I buy my satchels from Aust Post online - I buy in bulk so I just wanted to know if the single price at the PO is the same.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@grevilleas4me wrote:

Boy, you sound cross! . . .

And yes I am a small seller, and I buy my satchels from Aust Post online - I buy in bulk so I just wanted to know if the single price at the PO is the same.

I'm not cross, just seen too many members come here quibbling about stamp/sticker price compared to what they paid.

Individual satchel price over the counter is not much different to unit price when buying in bulk.  Aust Post make their money on the postage not the satchel.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Checking Australia Post online will give you answers

https://auspost.com.au/shop/sending/envelopes-satchels/prepaid-satchels

single price of satchels, and price for 10 for that matter, same in B&M post office as well as online.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

I don't know the exact price of a large express post satchel as I buy mine in bulk but it appears as though it is  $20.30 for a single, according to the Aust Post estimator. You can check it out here at this link:

Click features and options.

https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/calculate-postage-delivery-times/#/option/domestic/3000/3000 

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I actually have a pic of the XL price if that helps you in anyway. I had to get a quote for the *other place* I sell on 😉

I was told tracking is included in these prices.

00B8525E-9360-458F-985F-058036309400.jpegF7959186-9A72-455F-ABF6-BCC65CF83F47.jpeg

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply;  Janeababe and bmanly - but  a little off track now.    I was asking about standard postage satchels, not express post.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@grevilleas4me wrote:

Thanks for your reply;  Janeababe and bmanly - but  a little off track now.    I was asking about standard postage satchels, not express post.

Hmmm…. So, not the STANDARD pre-paid ones? 

ok… well  an extra large padded envelope is about $2 and to post an item up to 2kg is about $16.  ….. depending on what your posting and to which postcode. 

also…. I thought the 2nd pic WAS. a standard satchel 🤔 …. Errr, yep, it is! 

.….the first pic is express. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply