Cubic weight not calculating correctly for multiple purchase?

I have noticed what seems to be an error in the eBay postage calculator in some very specific cases.

It seems to happen for items where the cubic weight (calculated from the dimensions) is greater than the dead weight and a buyer buys more than one of them. Obviously, this doesn't happen very often.

It appears that for multiple purchases, it always uses the dead weight in the calculation.

I have checked this by comparing it against the Australia Post calculator and it seems quite consistent.

I noticed this first over a year ago and reported it to eBay support with the expected response. They said they would refer it to the technical department and I heard nothing further.

A couple of months ago, after I suffered from someone making a purchase which fell into this category and paying less for postage than it cost me, I resurrected the issue and got a much more helpful response from Therese in support who actually went to the trouble of checking it on one of my listings and comparing it to the Aust Post calculator and agreed that the calculator was wrong.

Once again, she said she would refer it to the technical team. She has just got back to me with a response from technical support which (surprise, surprise) addresses a completely different issue (ie sending items separately costs more than sending them combined). It's not her fault, she's been extremely helpful.

I'd like to make sure that I am actually raising a real issue and that it's not just me. Has anyone else had a similar issue? The number of transactions that fit into the conditions (multiple purchases, cubic > dead weight) is obviously low, but it must happen to other people.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

5kazam
Community Member

As it seems you are  selling items that are bulky, I would suggest you use 'freight' as your postage option, and request buyers to contact you for a postage cost to their postcode.  The Aust Post calculator is extremely accurate.  I use it all the time to advise potential purchasers on how much it will cost to send.  

If someone wants to make multiple purchases, I give a good 'guesstimate' (i.e. the maxium price you will pay) with an accurate price upon purchase.  I am usually pretty much in the 'ball park', and buyers do appreciate that I give them the best postage cost I am able to.  I let them know via message of the total cost before I send an invoice.  

Haven't lost any sales through this approach.  In fact, I believe I've made more due to my being upfront.  Buyers are pretty savvy about postage costs these days, and know when someone is being straight with them.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

They're not all that bulky. They're mainly toner cartridges.

As an example, one type is 38 x 14 x 15 cm. That makes it 2Kg cubic weight, but it only actually weighs 1Kg.

If someone buys 1 of them, the eBay postage calculator does the right thing and calculates postage based on the cubic weight (ie 2Kg).

However, if someone buys more than 1, it ignores the cubic weight completely. For example, if someone buys 2 of them, it calculates postage for 2Kg, which works out the same as for one of them. Obviously, that's not what I'll be charged at the PO (they'll base it on the 4Kg cubic weight).

I'm in Brisbane and if the buyer is in Perth (as Murphy's Law decrees they will be), that's a difference of around $6 that I have to find (the difference between what eBay calculates and what Aust Post charges).

My attitude is different to what you describe in that I believe that potential buyers want to know the postage cost instantly. I certainly do when I'm buying. I wouldn't bother contacting a seller if there were other people selling the same item at a reasonable price who provided postage when I'm looking at the search page. Maybe I'm not a typical buyer.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I don't know how appropriate or viable you will find it, but you may like to take a look at the options for postage rate tables:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/shipping-costs.html#tables

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I understand the predicament you are in, hence my suggestion.  But I can see that it wouldn't necessarily work for the items you sell.

I sell pottery - so all different sizes, shapes and weights.  And packaging can be quite different if going to WA, NT or Q'ld, depending on number of items purchased.  So putting any sort of postage cost would be a fruitless exercise.  I have on occasion given potential buyers several different postage costs when they haven't decided finally what they are going to purchase.  And all have appreciated the effort I've gone to, to ensure they get the item(s) in the safest but most economical way.  

Maybe it's because they are buying in a 'niche' category, their expectations are different - and they have no problem asking for postage costs.

PS :  Off topic - is anyone else having a problem with copy/paste?  I can highlight and click copy, but it won't paste.  Probably why I couldn't paste my screen shot yesterday!!

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply