Discrepancies on sales totals

On another ID, I have noticed discrepancies between my sales totals and what ebay thinks they are. For example, in march I sold 11 items for a total of $137.50. however, on the pie graph that appears on the Account/view invoice page, the sales total is $227.50 - quite a significant difference. Oddly enough, the total fees paid of $15.74 exactly matches my calculation. Furthermore, eBay states that this represents 9.51% paid in fees. How is this possible if I pay 9.9% fees?

Each month for this year shows similar discrepancies, except for January when the discrepancy was in the fees paid, although the sales total was the same. The difference between my sales total and eBay's has been getting bigger each month. In April, the difference was over $230. However, the total fees paid for Feb, march and April exactly matches my calculations.

On my other ID, the figures for sales totals and fees paid always match within a few cents, with the monthly fee percentage hovering around14-16%.

What is going on? Should I be concerned?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

eBay's figures might include postage.

I don't even look - there is no way I will rely on eBay to provide me with the figures I need to run MY business.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

The pie graph on the  My eBay > My Account > Seller Account > View Invoice page shows total monthly sales. Adding postage does not make it match my figure for the total sles for that month.

I don't believe I said anywhere that I rely on ebay for my sales figures, but it would be nice if my sales total matched theirs. As it does on my other ID

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

i can't comment on why the sales totals don't match - have no idea about that. very strange.

is it possible though the month where the fees were 14%+ that you may have used subtitle on some listings, had a promoted listing or a few, or also were charged final value fees on postage? if not - then i've got no idea about that one either. they were the only thoughts which came to mind about a possible difference in fee percentage. 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I've never used subtitles or promoted listings, but then neither of these would account for the discrepancy in sales totals.

I have just looked back at the data for 2016 plus the first 4 months of 2017, and calculated the average of the total monthly fees percentage. On one ID, the average for 2016 was 14.55% and on the other ID was 14.76% (so very similar). This year, the average has been 15.56% on the ID where my totals agree with ebay's, but on the one that is really different every month, the average is 10.31% - so something is obviously wrong with their sales totals. I would like to know what others show as their total monthly fees percentage. Is 14% high? average?

I've just done some calculations and found that in 2016, I sold a total of 214 items for an average price of $12.70 on one ID and in the same year, sold 285 items for an average price of $12.88 on the other ID. In the first 4 months of this year, I have sold 63 items for an average price of $13.33 on one ID and 79 items for an average price of $15.19 on the other. So we are not talking huge numbers of items nor large total sales.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

my fee percentage is usually in the 12% - 14% range - but that being said, i use subtitles on a lot of listings and also use some promoted listings. also have a basic store, which would be factored into the fee percentage (although small). 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

As far as I know, the fees as a percentage of sales is worked out on revenue vs fees paid, and only sales prices are considered revenue for the purposes of that calculation.

So, for example, if I sold 10 items at $10 each, with $5 postage each, I would be charged 9.9% of $150, but the fees would then be worked out as a percentage of total sale price, so that would be $14.85 worked out as a percentage of $100, in this case the fees would be 14.85% of my sales. (I believe this throws back to the way sales figures used to be calculated, which never included postage revenue, but I'm told it does on the Seller Hub). 

Might be a long shot, but did you have any cancellations or unpaid items that could account for the revenue discrepancy? These were always included in total sales figures, as well, but if the fees were credited then that would explain how the percentage is lower.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

DG - I agree with all you have said with regard to how the fee percentage is calculated. But my problem arises out of the discrepancy between what I calculate my revenue to be, and what ebay thinks it is. And they are significantly different, even taking into account any cancelled/returned items.

In February, I sold just 9 items, including one sale for $10 which was cancelled. My revenue total for the 8 successful sales was $105.00. Ebay says it was $169.00, and even if the cancelled sale was included, still doesn't match.

In March I sold 11 items (no cancellations or returns) for a sales total of $137.50. Ebay says it was $227.50.

In April I sold 44 items (no cancellations or returns) for a sales total of $670.00. Ebay says it was $902.65. That is more than $230.00 difference!

It is simply not possible for my fee percentage to be under 9.9% (I don't have a store) and in both Feb and March, it was 9.31% and 9.51% respectively.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply