Does the money from buyers using credit cards go onto my PayPal?

I would like to accept credit and debit cards on my listings too, but I prefer having all my payments on my PayPal.

If someone uses their card to pay for one of my products, does the money go onto my PayPal?

Thank you

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You need to be set up for accepting credit cards, merchant facilities which are costly.

Usually only done by businesses or eBayers with a very large turnover. 

Best just to accept PayPal and buyers can use their credit cards through PayPal.

Also many buyers like to use PayPal balances to make purchases.

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

If someone uses their card to pay for one of my products, does the money go onto my PayPal?

Definitely:   I make all my purchases by credit card but through paypal.    You don't need to set anything up at your end.   Just accept paypal and you will be fine.   All the paymentswill come to your paypal.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I see you have included Visa/Mastercard into your listings.

Are set up to receive payments via this method ?

If not, you should only have PayPal as a payment method.

What curraone means is if a buyer selects PayPal they can use their credit card through that, NOT to have credit card as payment method in the listing, unless you have Merchant Facilities.

Definitely.

This could be misleading. 

If someone chooses Visa it doesn't go to PayPal, the buyer needs to choose PayPal.

That's why you should take that option out (Visa/Mastercard). (Unless you have merchant fac. which I doubt)

image host
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Definitely.

If someone chooses Visa it doesn't go to PayPal, the buyer needs to choose PayPal.

That's why you should take that option out (Visa/Mastercard). (Unless you have merchant fac. which I doubt)

This isn't actually the case - when you go to the checkout page of any seller who only accepts PayPal, the buyer will be able to tick PayPal, or credit card (they come up as separate options). If they select PayPal, they are prompted to log in to PayPal and they can select whatever funding source they want, with the transaction recorded in their account history. If they select the credit card option, they have to enter their card details on the screen. The card payment is still processed by PayPal, and the funds will go to the seller's PayPal account, but from the buyer's perspective they are just doing a card payment. 

eBay has ceased support for merchant facilities in the lead up to introducing their own payment system, so you shouldn't actually be able to set it up to function with eBay's checkout anymore, anyway. 

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Definitely.

This isn't actually the case - when you go to the checkout page of any seller who only accepts PayPal, the buyer will be able to tick PayPal, or credit card (they come up as separate options). If they select PayPal, they are prompted to log in to PayPal and they can select whatever funding source they want, with the transaction recorded in their account history. If they select the credit card option, they have to enter their card details on the screen. The card payment is still processed by PayPal, and the funds will go to the seller's PayPal account, but from the buyer's perspective they are just doing a card payment. 

eBay has ceased support for merchant facilities in the lead up to introducing their own payment system, so you shouldn't actually be able to set it up to function with eBay's checkout anymore, anyway. 

definately this.

With just paypal as an option:

From the seller's perspective, everything is paypal,

From the buyers perspective, they have the option of either logging into their paypal account or using just their credit card.

When I message a customer about a refund, I am careful to say "If you have a Paypal account" because not all do.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks DG, so what happens if I purchase from OP and select Visa but don't have a PayPal account ?

image host
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Thanks DG, so what happens if I purchase from OP and select Visa but don't have a PayPal account ?

I'm guessing you'd pay as a guest.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

I'm guessing you'd pay as a guest.

Yup ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyone who does this should be aware though, that there is not buyer protection for guest payments, so should check with their card provider for any protections available if needed - it's been that way for a long time off-eBay, but I can't see the exclusion to that policy for on-eBay transactions in the UA anymore. 

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

yes the money goes into your paypal account and when the person does a credit card chargeback you pay a $30 penalty through paypal, lose your item and your money and still have to pay fees on the listing.  Paypal then say they can't fight the chargeback for you but hey they still make a profit off you.

Credit card payments are great.

A few years ago you could see if people payed with credit card into paypal and you could refuse credit card payments like i did and then paypal and ebay decided to pull any listings that stated no credit card payments accepted and demanded that you accept those payments.

good luck with credit cards and paypal

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply