EBAY Should show the indicative Selling fee when a user is about to post selling

I was not aware the selling fee was so high. 

Ebay advertised that there is free listing fee for 3 items in March 2024. I put them but I didn't expect EBAY would charge as much as 13.2% valuation fee when I sold my macbook for $2250. 

I could sell it much quicker at Gumtree if I discounted by 5-10%.  

Don't you think EBAY must show the indicative selling fee upfront before the user is about to post the sale?  I'm really **bleep** off. I wouldn't have sold it if I had to absorb another $300.  I'm seriously considering to contact ACCC for the Ebay's marketing cheat.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

EBAY Should show the indicative Selling fee when a user is about to post selling

There's nothing for the ACCC to look at. You're the one that should have found out what the selling fees are.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-without-ebay-store?id=4822&s...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I do

and 

they do show the fees involved

As I am sure the ACCC will happily show you

Free listing, yes

Not free if it sells

Two totally different things

And as a seller it is your responsibility  to know what you are doing and to read the terms you agreed to (the ones you ticked you had read and understood)

Fees will also apply to the listings you currently have

List free is not sell for free

And interesting when every seller gets free listings 

And every seller is shown the fees for selling

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I hope that you have registered for and been approved for Managed Payments.  Without this you will wait a long time for your money.  All new/returning sellers have this which they need to do.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

This appears just above the list it button.  you were warned, and you agreed to pay those fee's.  

If your item sells, you will be charged a final value fee- opens in new window or tab based on a percentage of the total cost to the buyer, including postage. Your total fees will include the final value fee and any other fees incurred.
By selecting List it, you agree to pay the above fees; accept the eBay User Agreement- opens in new window or tab, Payments Terms of Use- opens in new window or tab and Marketing Program Terms- opens in new window or tab; acknowledge reading the User Privacy Notice- opens in new window or tab and assume full responsibility for the item offered and the content of your listing.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Maybe the OP is vision impaired and didn't see all those links, that we all otherwise see?

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

A quick review of the Ebay website shows the fees, in minute detail.  They are not hidden.  Onus is in you as the seller to inform yourself about the pros and cons of your various selling options.  You failed to do that.

Ebay really isn't the place for a casual one-off seller.  That's probably why they own Gumtree - to cater for that market.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@p9games wrote:

That's probably why they own Gumtree - to cater for that market.

eBay sold off Gumtree a few years ago p9.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply