Ebay add taken down by ridiculous ebay policy

I had my add for VIN plates taken down by ebay for violating policy. 

"We removed your listing because you offered a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) related item. We do not allow VIN plates, star punches or VIN plate rivets to be sold by themselves"

I have 2 issues with this. First if I type in VIN plate on ebay search I get 105 results , some of these adds have 1500 sales compared to my 30 so have been on there for a long time. I tested the waters and used "report this item" and suprise, suprise none of them have been removed. I even did it to one that clearly advertised a company name so copyright issue same result. So I guess its just me.

Secondly VIN plates in Australia are ALL made by private companies and sold to trailer manufacturers or private individuals. Some State governments  offer un stamped trailer plates ( sourced from private enterprise) for sale as a covenience. No state government enforces mandatory state made and stamped VIN plates. All State governments do require a VIN plate on there with the correct details how you do it is your own business. So what's the problem Ebay any individual can legally purchase or even make their own VIN plate . As for "star punches and VIN plate rivets " that's  simply ludicrous. 

Fairs fair if you have this ridiculous policy I expect all those adds to be taken down or maybe a policy review after a bit of research.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You would need to contact eBay and take it up with them

This is a member to member forum

Nobody from eBay, nor eBay policy makers read here

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Cool , feels good to vent though. Will probably just re-word the add title or list it under a relatives account. Its not like there are another 100 semi permanent adds on ebay selling exactly the same thing. 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Out of interest I already did a live chat with ebay. Just repeated the policy to me and told me it was for my own protection, doing me a favour. When I asked them about the hundreds of other same adds the reply was there are thousands  of new adds everyday and they will get around to them. Assured me that "report this add" would bring their attention to the violation. Again that proved to be bs. Just looking for someway of getting a message to ebay on a policy which is obviously wrong. Don't sell on Ebay for a living so not phased  either way.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Maybe I don't understand VINs. My understanding is that they are the vehicle manufacturers' identification of the vehicle.

You are saying that anybody can create one and affix it to a vehicle. Even if they are not the manufacturer.

Seems to negate the relevance, unless you're trying to rebirth a vehicle. Which isn't actually legal.

Maybe you should get onto the AFP. They would surely require eBay to take down all listings for VINs and prohibit them from allowing such listings.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I make the plates as a living for the maufacturers of trailers and trucks. I have even done some for Qld Transport so I know they get theirs supplied by the private sector. No legal requirement as far as I know that requires anyone in Australia to purchase a state supplied and stamped VIN plate for any vehicle , trailer or caravan. You better have the right government regulated VIN number AGM weight etc on your plate though if you plan to resell or get inspected by the cops.

Fact is there is a market out there for vin plates if you are a small manufacturer needing only a few,  you fabricated your own trailer and had it transport department approved  or the fact that old plates fade and need replacement. All totally legit all supplied by the private sector that should include Ebay as one avenue.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Okay.

But surely the manufacturer is subject to regulation, which doesn't include an anonymous eBay buyer, who, by definition, isn't able to be regulated.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Manufacturers and ebay buyers subject to the same basic regulations all vehicles on the road  get government inspected for a roadworthy to receive a matching vin number and rego plate. Having fake details on your trailer plate is pointless, its so easy to check online and impossible to sell or transfer registration.

If it doesn't match what's on the database when it was originally registered  there are going to be problems irrespective of how the plate got there.  

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply