Ebay fees

I don't get why peole are complaining abut Ebay fees i know they are a pain and keep going up and all the new rules but it's way cheaper than running an actual shop you only handle the stock so there is no theft , no electricity or air con to run or employ staff ,eftpos fees ,rent each week . The way we sell it's convienient and most do it from home. 

you really are a special bunch
Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Ebay fees

There are quite a few reasons, I warrant - first and foremeost, because no one likes to pay more money but get less in return. 

For eBayers who have been around for a while, like myself, we've watched the standard FVF rise from ~5% (which got lower the higher the item price was) to a flat 9.9.%, which then extended to postage costs. For some sellers, it's still acceptable and managable, for others it meant their FVF was increased to a point where selling on eBay was no longer viable, so being cheaper than other forms of selling is a moot point for them.

Fees have more than doubled for some sellers, and it's also now variable for many of them (because of the FVF on postage, which for some items means a big difference depending on where the item is being sent to), which makes it very difficult to account for in a fair way. 

These increases have brought few tangible benefits for sellers, there are some features, sure, some of them very welcome, and I'm still here, selling my stuff, but while they've caused less impact on me and I don't spend a great deal of time complaining about the fees and changes, I fully empathise and understand how / why it's all gotten a bit much for others.

Stealing is very much an issue online sellers have to deal with - some eBay / PayPal policies facilitate it just a little bit too easily. I also have to pay for electricity to run my business equipment. 

Message 2 of 74
Latest reply

Ebay fees

At the end of the day i'm_highest_bidder some folks just get up unhappy.Unless your showering them with free listings and massive sales life is unfair.Yes there are problems but there are with EVERY site I'm sure. I have actually given uo Home&Away to watch this in the evenings.Can be more entertaining.

Our sales are down..we are waiting patiently for free listings but we are also spacing them out to last the month as well.I think there has been way to much negative things for folks to read of late. 

You are very right about having a store and the costs involved. I had 3 and a dozen employees.Much cheaper on E-Bay and guess what. If I'm not motivated....oh well. 

I wish those that are actually leaving the best of luck. Seeing what else is available out there i think they are going to need it.OK I've had my say ..a great day to all and to all a great day

Message 3 of 74
Latest reply

Ebay fees

I hear what you are saying however most of my items were low cost, say $5. They also hd to be posted as a parcel which means that I had to pay fvf on the $8.25 (I know Ebay has a 'special' on at the moment but that won't last). That's almost $2 worth of fees to Ebay and PP on a $5 item ... that's a huge cut for them ... that's my complaint ...

Message 4 of 74
Latest reply

Ebay fees

@im.highest.bidder..now wrote:

I don't get why peole are complaining abut Ebay fees i know they are a pain and keep going up and all the new rules but it's way cheaper than running an actual shop you only handle the stock so there is no theft , no electricity or air con to run or employ staff ,eftpos fees ,rent each week . The way we sell it's convienient and most do it from home. 

you must be a very small volume seller indeed not to worry about increased costs to do business, yet declining service for higher charges from a service provider. 

I have business expenses for selling on eBay including electrictity (lighting heating and air conditioning etc etc) storage unit costs, packaging, a range of service fees etc and very soon wages costs.

What gets up my nose with eBay are the constant changes that  interfere with how I run my business. Whilst some of these changes have been good for the site (ie photo requirements) others are just plain market intereference IMO (ie changes to buy it now price setting).

There is no other service provider I have ever struck that has ever rolled out its changes in such a way that it has meant that I have had constantly had to spend signficant additional time on tasks that do not assist me to profit, but rather are a drain on the time and energy I have to put into my business. 

TBH whingers that whinge about others complaining need to have a long hard look in the mirror.

Message 5 of 74
Latest reply

Ebay fees

If it wasn't for the fees on postage, wouldn't be so bad.. the postage costs are huge and often more than the item you are selling, so you make bugger all..

Having said that, to be honest, if ebay upped their fees to 20-25% flat ( EXCLUDING POSTAGE) in return for just leaving us alone to sell, getting rid of the silly rating system and left buyers to decide based on our customer feedback if they want to deal with us or not.. I think I would take it.

just to get rid of the anxiety and stress caused by this terribly unfair system

Message 6 of 74
Latest reply

Ebay fees

Catspjs quote "others are just plain market intereference IMO (ie changes to buy it now price setting)."

Interesting you say this.  I've just tried a little experiment (for my own interest) and listed two items (almost a pair).  I deliberately and specifically UNTICKED  the Auto Relist.  

And guess what!!!.  They have been automatically relisted.  

eBay don't have the right to determine whether I relist or not.  That is my decision.  

The same applies to the BIN settings - if you don't see it before you relist, eBay has ticked the Best Offer box - then you (the owner of the listings) have to spend time editing to get rid of them.

eBay the Usurper - shouldn't stick fingers in where they don't belong.  

And I fully concur with your last sentence.

Message 7 of 74
Latest reply

Ebay fees

Does Ebay pay tax in Australia on the fees they gouge from us?Smiley Mad

I know i and other sellers have to pay tax.Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 74
Latest reply

Ebay fees

all I am saying is I read whinge after whinge about ebay , no one is forcing people to sell on here if they got a shop inthe street then they would have something to complian about , it is my opinion and I am entitled to it if you see it as whinging about others sorry for you then but  in this ever changing world these are the things we have to face. small or big volume seller has nothing to do with my opinion if I was selling 300 items a week I would have the same opinion 

you really are a special bunch
Message 9 of 74
Latest reply

Ebay fees

My opinion is  -  purchase cost, selling price, fees incurred through eBay/PayPal = net profit/loss.

It's not so much whinging, as you call it.  It's a case of facing up to the reality of whether it's worth pursuing selling on a platform that takes more than what you bring home.

And I agree, you are entitled to your opinion, but doesn't that also mean that others are entitled to theirs - which they choose to express on this forum.

Message 10 of 74
Latest reply