FVF credits when refunding over payment on postage.

5kazam
Community Member

I've noticed a lot of posts where members have been saying that eBay won't credit FVF on overpayment of postage.

I had a situation this last weekend where a buyer paid full postage on two items.  Naturally I refunded the difference between paid and actual.

Then I noticed on my payment summary that FVF had not been adjusted for that refund.

So onto LiveChat where the rep told me that FVF had NEVER been credited back (rubbish!!).  After quite a bit of to and fro, I asked to chat with a supervisor.  I was transferred to BILLING, the following being the result (with a few minor omissions on chat which aren't relevant).

So for anyone who has been given a hard time about getting FVF adjusted when doing a partial postage return - ask to chat with someone in Billing.  They at least appear to know how the system works.

I hope this post helps others to get some fees back.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

5kazam
Community Member

I would like to clarify that sellers ARE entitled to a FVF adjustment when they have issued a postage refund. 

And it clearly says in eBays 'Selling fees without a store' page that "If you refund a buyer or cancel a sale, you may be eligible for a credit of the percentage portion of the final value fee. (The fixed fee per order won't be credited.)"

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

It does say that, but then it also goes on to clarify, on the same page:

"If you need to refund the buyer or cancel the sale, you are eligible for a credit of the variable percentage portion of the final value fee, provided that you refund the buyer in full in resolution of a return or cancellation request. The fixed fee per order will not be credited."

"You may be eligible..." implies there are circumstances under which you won't be eligible, and they go on to clarify the only circumstances that qualify for a FVF refund. 

They've actually made this stipulation pretty clear from day one, in conjunction with that clause and patting themselves on the back for allowing FVF credits on full refunds while PayPal don't (for most), so while it's great you got a refund this time, I wouldn't count on it in the future - particularly as the more sellers who try and get refunds after seeing this, the faster the CS reps will be corrected.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I agree that it does go further to say about refunding the buyer in full - but also clarifies that it relates to a return or cancellation request.

If I have inadvertently misled sellers here, I apologize.  My intention with the post was to be of assistance.

For my part, I have it in writing that FVF adjustment is applicable for partial refund of postage.  So if I need to request a FVF credit in the future, I will refer whomever to the transcript.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I think you will find for sellers who make a living from selling on ebay they do not try and get back the fees from a partial refund. Unless you are selling items that have large postage amounts the average amount would be around $10 so to get back a $1 may not be the best use of their time. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

My buyer paid a total of $39.60 postage, and I refunded $14.30, so to me it was worth asking.

I have a lot of listings (at least for me it's a lot) now that I can list more than 40 per month.  But I don't sell that much.  I don't make a living on eBay - just trying to shift years of accumulation out of here.  I'm very happy when I do have a sale, as that means a bit more clear space.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply