First return as seller and need help.

Hi, I've been selling for about a month and have entered into my first returns request. I'm in Australia and have sold a PS2 game to someone in the US, who has requested a return because the game is apparently defective and doesn't work on their system. The error message is what appears when you put a PAL game in a NTSC system, which I suspect is what may be happening. There is definitely nothing wrong with the disc, I advertised it as PAL and tested and uploaded a photo of the game working on my PS3. I have told the buyer all of this and then accepted a return with full refund, and now eBay is asking for me to upload a return label. Do I need to go to a post office to pay for this, and will eBay reimburse me from what the buyer has paid? My account is set to accept returns but the buyer pays for it, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. There is also the issue of customs I suspect, which will cost more? The eBay automated messenger isn't providing much help. Basically I'm just worried I'm going to be out of pocket when I haven't done anything wrong, and I want my item back. Thank you for any advice.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I thought I'd update this thread with the conclusion of this issue for the sake of others who may encounter a similar one. I ended up chatting with two separate agents who were incredibly helpful and understood that the buyer made the initial error by suggesting the product was faulty when submitting the return, when it clearly wasn't. Because I accepted their claim though, an agent recommended to contact them directly and suggested sending them the funds by bank transfer for the return postage, wait for the item to return to me for inspection, then they can close the order and refund both parties. Unfortunately, the buyer did not respond to my request and after a few days, they closed the return request themselves. Thankfully though, the full item price and postage cost were paid out to me, so it was treated like a regular sale in the end. So, these situations don't always fall into the buyer's favour as people claim, eBay's agents are very critical of individual issues it seems and will do the right thing. Thanks again to everyone in this thread for the initial help.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Not exactly sure why you accepted a return & refund - you listed as PAL.

PAL & NTSC Video Broadcast StandardsFor other players: NTSC format is mainly supported in USA, Canada, South America & the Caribbean. PAL format is supported in most other countries, including UK, Europe, South Africa, Australia & New Zealand.

This seems to me the buyers fault - and probably should have been change of mind - they pay the postage back.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Buyer clearly must have opened a returns request on the basis of SNAD/INAD (not as described). On that basis you are responsible for return postage cost. Of course you cannot generate a return postage label for something being sent via the US postal system.

You may need to get onto Live Chat. I don’t know if they’ll do anything for you, though.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Yeah, I am still waiting for the buyer to confirm this was the exact issue, but I Googled return requests and a lot of answers said you should just accept it immediately to avoid issues. Can I contact eBay and refuse it? The options were to accept a return or accept a refund, I assumed they weren't the same things.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

The request says "doesn't work or defective" and "game doesn't work with console." It doesn't work, definitely isn't defective, and doesn't say anything about it not being as described. Does that cover me or have I committed to paying for a return? I'll try and initiate a live chat, thanks.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Has the buyer opened any kind of case for this item. ??

Or just messaged you.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

They have opened a return request which I responded to then selected return accepted. Now eBay is asking me to provide a postage label. I can't get through to any sort of live chat, the automated messenger is putting me through a loop.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

You have accepted a return. You did not need to if your position is that the item was as described and not defective.

By accepting, I think you’ve locked yourself in.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

As a new seller - I'd get onto live chat first on Monday - ask for a supervisor - tell them the story - show them the title of the listing PAL.

The buyer should have done their homework.

Especially mention the item is definitely not faulty as it works on the platform it's designed for - ie - not the US.

It's a false claim.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Just a note,  for items such as this put blocks on so only Australian buyers can purchase.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply