Fraudulent Sellers - How do we report them? Does Ebay do anything to try and stop them?

I have an ebay Anchor store (this is under a different ebay account for my business)

Another seller on ebay is skimming information from my ebay site and offering my goods for sale on their site at a much cheaper price.

They are paying for sponsored seller positions to get to the top of the searches for my product, within ebay.

When they get a sale from a customer, they order the product from me using a stolen credit card. They order the product to be delivered directly to their genuine ebay customer.

We are an Australian seller and the charge back rules in Australia mean that one the owner of the stolen card report the fraudulent transaction, the bank take the funds back from our bank account.

The fraudulent seller's customer has got their goods, because we have delivered them. The fraudulent seller has the payment from their un-knowing customer.

We have sent the goods to their customer, and we've lost the money.

The fraudulent seller is advertisint lots of products, has had their store going since August 2022 and has sold 167 items and counting.

I have contacted Ebay and they were unhelpful and are not going to do anything about it. 

We have advised Ebay of the fraudulent sellers name. 

How frequently is this happening?

I thought our branded goods were protected if we were an anchor seller? Surely others should not be allowed to sell our brand as a new product?

Surely Ebay should have a department focussed on preventing fraudulent activity.

It's a very elaborate scam and clearly very successful. How many retailers is this thief going to steal from before they are stopped?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Fraudulent Sellers - How do we report them? Does Ebay do anything to try and stop them?

Have you blocked them?

Do you have an account manager?

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

heads up....you have posted on the incorrect board....so the mods may be along shortly, to move this thread to 'SELLING'

Report a cybercrime | Cyber.gov.au

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

OP, you should be covered under eBay Seller Protections, if you are able to provide proof of delivery to the address provided by the buyer.

Quoting:

When a buyer opens a payment dispute because they didn't receive the item or they don't recognise the transaction

When a buyer opens a payment dispute because they didn't receive the item or they don't recognise the transaction, sellers will be asked to provide:

• Evidence of successful delivery to the address provided by the buyer at checkout, or
  • Proof that the buyer collected the item

If eBay determines that the item was successfully delivered or collected:

• We will not seek reimbursement from the seller for the disputed amount, even if the payment institution decides that the buyer is owed a refund; and
  • We will waive or refund the seller's dispute fee

Evidence of successful delivery

• Tracking information from a carrier that shows all of the following:
  • A delivery status of "delivered" (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered);
  • The date of delivery;
  • The recipient's address that matches the one found on the Order details page, including the city/suburb or postcode (or international equivalent); and
  • Proof of signature confirmation uploaded as an image while challenging the payment dispute, for orders with a total cost (including postage and any applicable taxes) of $750 or more. Learn more about our signature confirmation requirements

I can’t rubricate text when I access the boards from my phone… so I’ve underlined the relevant section.

Definitely report this as twyngwyn as recommended (using the Cybercrime link).

Once eBay find themselves out of pocket repeatedly, it is possible that someone in the team will actually look more closely at this particular scam.

Unfortunately, if you’re not processing the card payments yourself, there’s nothing you can really do to check whether the card used has been stolen. If you were directly handling the payment, you could ring your EFTPOS/processing business manager and do some preemptive checking… but third party transaction companies supposedly do the checking — which they don’t. In large part I think that’s because in the US there is inbuilt address verification for credit card purchases (AVS) , which isn’t the case in Australia. The “verified by Visa” programme isn’t the same.

It’s a much bigger problem than your case alone…

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I have heard of this before and there is no seller protection as far as I know as the buyer has no issue with the transaction and is not lodging a dispute.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

even if the payment institution decides that the buyer is owed a refund

There should indeed be seller protection as the seller has posted to the nominated address, and thus qualifies for seller protection.

As said, it is ultimately up to eBay to abide by their own policies and shut down the scammers.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Hmmm... eol, this is a bit of a curly situation, though.

As I understand it, it's not the buyer to whose address the item is sent who has any reason to lodge a dispute. (I think of them as the "end buyer".) Rather, it's the buyer who actually makes the purchase from the OP (using the end buyer's address, but obviously not using the end buyer's account). I would call that buyer the "interim buyer".

Interim buyer is obviously the seller with whom the end buyer has placed an order. (Almost certainly the "interim buyer" and the "interim seller" are different accounts, but the same person/people.)

End buyer purchases from interim seller. [Non-fraudulent payment made to interim seller.]

Interim buyer (aka interim seller) purchases from end seller (OP), but uses end buyer's address as the delivery address. [Fraudulent payment made to end seller using an unrelated person's stolen credit card details.]

End seller (OP) sends item to the specified address (end buyer's address). End seller will have proof of postage (receipt) and proof of delivery (tracking) to the address in the eBay order.

End buyer will naturally assume that the delivery has come from the interim seller.

However, interim seller will have no proof of postage (the receipt), even if they usurp the tracking information from end seller.

If end seller (OP) is notified by eBay of a chargeback, end seller has the required proof of postage and delivery, as per eBay's requirements for seller protection.

If unrelated third party (credit card owner) requests a chargeback, they should be able to demonstrate that the delivery address was not theirs, nor was the eBay account used theirs. Ergo, they should be reimbursed.

But... this shouldn't impact on the end seller's payment. End seller can provide all of the required information.

But what a very messy situation it is.

OP... I wonder if you could include a card that summarises some of the problems, and gives your phone number and business address and perhaps even a link to this thread...?

Along these lines:

Dear buyer,

Thank you for your purchase; we hope you enjoy this item.

A cautionary note: our business has recently been the victim of "triangulation fraud" by other eBay / online accounts. This is when a genuine buyer purchases from an online shop or eBay account, thinking that the shop/account is a genuine seller. In fact, what that shop or account does is to then order the item or items from us (the genuine seller), but using the genuine buyer's address as the delivery address and paying for the order using a third party's stolen credit card details.

If you purchased from our eBay store [store name], all well and good! However, if you've ordered from a different eBay store or online site, you've inadvertently bought from an account using this particular scam. Your payment would have gone to the scammer, not to us. (Usually there's a chargeback for the fraudulent payment to us by the scammer who used stolen card details.) In that case, would you phone us on [phone number] and perhaps we can ensure that the scam account is dealt with? You can also read the thread [thread link] on the eBay Community Discussion board (Sellers): [link].

You can read about triangulation fraud on the Equifax website (https://www.equifax.com.au/knowledge-hub/risk-solutions/ecommerce-fraud-prevention-and-detection-bes...)

Once again, thank you for supporting our business{, and please use this code for a 15% discount on your next purchase with us}. <- optional

Regards,

[name]

You'll know more about your business and the sort of customers you have better than I, and you'll be able to decide whether such a card is a good idea or a bad idea.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Its easy to spot  potential issues but can be time consuming to verify each sale that may have an issue if you are a large store. Most sales will be low value so as not to attract attention or warrant the time needed to check.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I think the issue with the chargeback is that it was not done by a buyer but someone who had their credit card details stolen and has nothing to do with the transaction. Seller protection does state "buyer " in the sentence which may be the issue for protection.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply