GST on online sales over $20

Why not just get ebay to collect it off the sale of anything sold here in Australia?

ie: you sell items in Australia, you pay Australian taxes - level playing field

Message 1 of 139
Latest reply
138 REPLIES 138

@gec2002 wrote:

"Most sellers on here would not already pay GST on stock purchases."

Only if they are importing from overseas under $1000 dollars otherwise they are paying GST but are unable to claim it against Collected GST, because thay are not registered.

In 2012 there were 1,475,400 small businesses (T/O < $2m) of these 597,930 had T/O <$ 50,000 and were therefore no required to register for GST although many may have registered.

is that not what I just said up there?

Message 71 of 139
Latest reply

firstly for  a start not every law will agree with everyone .i will exxplain it simple for a start it does not matter what your turnover is ,if you buy stock from australia being a wholesaler retailer importer of goods factory , everybody pays gst its included in the price simple as that.claimung it ,is another thing .

this is what happens now ,if you buy anything from overseas online direct or what ,if its under $1000 [you dont pay gst.

the new plan if it comes thru.is if you buy from overseas any item over $20 a gst is payable [yet to be decided how the gov gets paid]

so any business who already buys from australia  any amount. or imports from overseas for at least $1000 pay gst, [this new law makes no diference to them at all. 

lets say i sell cameras i buy myy stock already from overseas and i pay gst   they cost me $500 lets say   [it still going to cost me $500 so i still sell the cameras for bla bla.  now an australian buyer who buys from an overseas seller will have to now pay a gst on top of what they pay now. so the price differece will become 10 % cheaper to buy from an australian seller , [so prob more sales for the aus seller.

now if you are a part time seller and buy retail or there abouts in small quantidys from overseas , you will have to pay gst . and make it 10% dearer   but if a buyer in australia buys direct to an overseas seller they too will pay 10% more .    so at the end its even.

the only downfall is . if you are a seller a small seller that sell cheap items and buys retail or thereabouts from china will have to pay gst   were the chinese seller of items under $20 will be gst free.   

Message 72 of 139
Latest reply

Joe, please stop harping about the extra charges being just the GST of 10%.  It will be way more than that no matter how the GST is collected.

Quite apart from ebay, I have been buying from overseas for many years.  In the early days the import threshhold was $400, later raised to the current $1000.  In all those years I have never paid less than 20% in charges be they duty, fees or other associated charges.  After the GST came in those charges went up to 25-30%.

If the threshhold is lowered there will be far more packages requiring Customs clearances/inspections.....meaning far more staff to collect those charges....leading to far more charges.  I can see those fees climbing to 40% easily.

While it is not going to affect me personally, I can well understand why small sellers are worried....they have very good reason to be worried.....and not just over a possible 10% increase in their costs.

Message 73 of 139
Latest reply

i am talking about the gst until the procedure comes out on how its colected ,we cant talk about what might happen.

you will see it will only be 10% and no other chargers, unless there is duty and so on. 

this is a very fair system when everbody pays the same gst. 

Message 74 of 139
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

you will see it will only be 10% and no other chargers, unless there is duty and so on. 

You really are living in cloud cuckoo land Joe if you think it will only be the GST of 10%.

Have you ever imported anything from overseas that exceeds the threshhold?

Message 75 of 139
Latest reply

all the time   before gst there were other chargers gst took a lot away , there is still some duty chargers on some lines. 

as i said it will make importing from china dearer or local buyers  buying in china dearer , is this not better for us aussie guys.

in fact if the gov had any balls it should be a 50% gst on importing goods

in my opinion the sooner all this china **bleep** goes the better.

Message 76 of 139
Latest reply

The GST did not take away the Customs agent charges, Import Duty and the myriad of other charges that go with importing items that exceed the threshhold.  In fact it added to them as Customs Agents had to add the GST to their bills for a start.

The GST was supposed to get rid of a lot of government charges and fees such as stamp duty....but guess what....if didn't happen.  For the most part all it did was increase goods and services by 10%.

You do realise that if the government made the GST on imported goods 50% it would increase the cost of all the imported goods in our local shops.....and that is a heck of a lot of the stock in Australian shops.

Message 77 of 139
Latest reply

sure 50% would increase goods but maybe there would be manufacturing  back in this country , instead of everything that now comes from china .try and buy something in a shop not from china...... in fact big expensive brands mostly come from china now.

Message 78 of 139
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

sure 50% would increase goods but maybe there would be manufacturing  back in this country , instead of everything that now comes from china .try and buy something in a shop not from china...... in fact big expensive brands mostly come from china now.

And you think the government should increase the costs of all these good?   That would be the death knell of all Australian retailing.

Message 79 of 139
Latest reply

Bring manufaturing back under a liberal goverment, are you serious ?

Message 80 of 139
Latest reply