Getting started

I have been selling on eBay for 3 months now (ladies clothing) and I am finding the sales very slow. I have previously used eBay from the uk and sales picked up quickly and consistently, I am doing the same thing here from Australia but no luck so far! Does anyone have any advice on how to get things going? Or was it slow for you in the beginning too? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Cheers
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Getting started

I think you'll find that most people's sales are up and down, all over the place. Plus, still having low feedback might be stopping some people. It's hard to get that score up of no-one's buying though!! You could try putting NWT (new with tags) in the title, so people can see at a glance that they are all brand new with tags. It's possible that some people with add that to their search term if that's what they specifically want.

You've got some nice stuff there, hopefully things pick up for you soon. 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Getting started

I would also say that most people would be buying winter clothes at the moment not summer dresses,
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Getting started

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You have some very nice frocks there....if I was 40 years younger and several dress sizes smaller I would be a customer.

I do have a suggestion that may make a small difference to your sales.   Try putting the measurements in centimetres as well as inches.

It is not a problem for me as I grew up with feet and inches but I have seen some complaints on the boards about clothing sellers who do not list with metric measurements.

Your target age group was probably not even born when Australia went metric so no doubt would appreciate seeing measurements that they understand.   It may also help to avoid a dispute for not describing your items in a language they can relate to.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Getting started

I know it's tedious but you really have to put measurements on everything you sell.     Even if the size is stated.

The buyer can't see you item in person - so they need to know how long, how wide, it is.  

Just make yourself up a little template so you remember it for each listing

How long from shoulder to hem

How wide across the bust - lying flat

How wide across the waist - lying flat

how wide across the hips - lying flat

And it would fill up the title more to help with searches-  e.g.

'NICOLE' BLACK & LIGHT APRICOT PRINT TOP

could be

'NICOLE' BLACK & LIGHT APRICOT PRINT TOP polyester ONE SIZE short sleeve NWOT

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Getting started

Just a general comment. There are  a lot of competing businesses (online) now for womens' clothing (and other items). Big companies that offer free postage and often free returns (change of mind included). Good sale prices.

I don't know that a lot of people (younger ones especially) would turn to eBay now when buying clothes online.

Re UK vs Aust - are the postage costs here a lot higher than in the UK? That is a put off for buyers too - if a dress costs, for example,  $10 (good value) but then postage cost of around $9 is on top of that.

Agree re centimetres in listings and measurements. Fill out as many of the item specifics as you can also.. short sleeves, sleevless etc as a search for those will show up.

I was suprised the other day though when a plumber (young) at my house said the pump hose was 6 inches short. Maybe plumbing supplies are in inches.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Getting started

to am I still think a lot more people understand inches and feet more than metric, even ply sheets are cut to feet but are displayed in metric, people understand a foot long easier than 30cm or 300mm long, but having both measurments are better if you can.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Getting started

@am*3 wrote:

Just a general comment. There are  a lot of competing businesses (online) now for womens' clothing (and other items). Big companies that offer free postage and often free returns (change of mind included). Good sale prices.

I don't know that a lot of people (younger ones especially) would turn to eBay now when buying clothes online.

Re UK vs Aust - are the postage costs here a lot higher than in the UK? That is a put off for buyers too - if a dress costs, for example,  $10 (good value) but then postage cost of around $9 is on top of that.

Agree re centimetres in listings and measurements. Fill out as many of the item specifics as you can also.. short sleeves, sleevless etc as a search for those will show up.

I was suprised the other day though when a plumber (young) at my house said the pump hose was 6 inches short. Maybe plumbing supplies are in inches.

It's surprising what's still spoken in inches. In a hospital, if someone asked for a 15cm bandage, everyone, including the youngsters would be standing there scratching their head. Ask for a 6 inch bandage and they know exactly what is needed. Interestingly, the size on the bandage wrapper is 15cm. It's also surprising how many youngsters will ask what a baby's weight is in pounds.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Getting started

Thanks for all the advice๐Ÿ˜€
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply