Had a win today - woohoo!

About 90 days ago a guy opened a chargeback against me for $470.  He said the chargeback had been a mistake as he forgot what it was for and asked the bank to reverse it after I queried him.

Two weeks later the money was taken from me, plus an admin fee.  I kept asking the guy for proof of his chageback reversal request, especially since he said the bank sent him a letter confirming it, but after a month of excuse after excuse he went quiet and started ignoring me.  I thought all hope was lost.

PayPal kept telling me to wait 75 days from when I opened my dispute about closing it in the buyer's favour.  I kept at them about it because I was told ages ago to act as soon as possible when it comes to this kind of thing.

Today was the big day!  I queried them for an update first thing in the morning and soon after got everything back, including the fee!

I don't know what happened, or if the money came really back from the guy, but I am very thankful.  It was the worst case I've had with online sales so far.  It took some weight off my shoulders today.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

images like.jpg

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Well done! Great to hear a win for the seller for a change.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Well done!!

But it is this sort of scenario that makes me a lot more wary about selling anything bigger on ebay nowadays. $470 is a lot of money.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Chargebacks can happen anywhere the retailer accepts a credit card as payment, not just on ebay by the way.

In fact if you get a chargeback anywhere else other than thru PayPal you are totally on your own to fight it. Good luck with that.

There are other reasons why I would be wary of selling high value items on ebay. Namely the fact that ebay are so heavily biassed towards the buyer you stand a very real chance of total loss of the item.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Also through PayPal if it was funded with a credit card.

image host
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Yesterday was good.

Today I have been accused of hacking into another buyer's PayPal account and stealing money from them because I was the last person they bought from and money is mysteriously being taken.

It never ends...

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Is this the same trans as above ?

If not inform them it is likely because they have clicked on links in an email in the past.

And don't let this spoil your celebrating. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

it takes all types

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Different buyer.  Good idea about the email, I think something like this may be what has happened.  I've managed to convince them I have nothing to do with it and not to point fingers so quickly.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply